Chapter Two

Roommates: Chapter Two 

I stared at the plain white ceiling, I hadn't slept at all last night just tossing and turning, Luke's words replaying in my mind, he didn't care about me, why did that hurt so much when I already knew he didn't feel that way, I mean he's straight as a pole and has a girlfriend. Even if he weren't, why would he love someone like me?

Closing my eyes I could almost feel the sun pouring from the window of Calum's living room all the way from the uncomfortable couch, it was early in the morning and the birds were chirping right outside and the winter weather had disappeared for the day as the sun blasted through, a contrast to last night.

Calum walked into his living room, yawning and stretching from his sleep, I sat up straighter, knowing he was going to ask me about what happened, last night I had convinced him that I was really tired and that I just wanted to sleep so he didn't ask any questions.

He sat next to me and cleared his throat, "You going to tell me what happened?"

I chuckled, "Good morning to you too, Cal."

My attempt on lightening the mood obviously didn't work as he looked at me with a serious expression, his dark eyebrows furrowed and his arms folded in front of him.

I looked down at my feet, biting my lip. "I waited for him, I waited for him to come home and he brought her. She came back to OUR home with him again and-"

"You waited for him again? Mike, what did I tell you, you have to stop doing that, all you're going to end up doing is getting hurt when they come home together!"

I flinched back, slowly hunching my shoulders to make myself smaller, I felt safer that way. "I know Calum, I'm sorry, I just- I didn't think he would bring her back this time, I thought we were going to cuddle together."

I felt an arm wrap around me, as Calum brought me closer towards his chest I could feel the tears start to bubble up again.

"He almost stopped you know, he wasn't going to sleep with her! But she said about how no one cared about me and he agreed, I just-" At this point the tears were freely rolling down my face, the memories of last night boring into my mind.

"Did he really say that? Mike, are you sure, because I know for a fact that Luke loves you, you know that, you're his best friend!"

"Maybe, but not the way I love him." I sighed, trying to wipe my tears away quickly as I cuddled into Calum, he was always there for me, even at three in the morning he was there and now he's here to comfort me when I'm crying over something ridiculous. "Cal, thanks, you know, for being there." He just shot me a small smile, saying how he would always be there for me. As we sat there cuddled up on the couch I tried to rid my mind of Luke and Rose, I just tried to focus on the movie that Calum had put on. I felt my eyes start to drop and I knew that I would finally get some sleep, dreading having to talk to Luke again later when he would see I wasn't home, if he even noticed that is.

I woke up to the faint sound of knocking, I glanced up at Calum and he shrugged, getting up off the couch. "Don't ask me, I didn't invite anyone over."

As he got up I whined at the loss of warmth but laid back onto the couch, not caring who was at the door, just needing to drift off into my dreamless sleep.

I heard a male voice along with Calum's talking in hushed voices, my ears perking up as I heard my name mentioned.

"Dude, umm, is Michael here?" A voice mumbled, they sounded tired, probably hung over from the Saturday night parties like the other 99% of students at the university.

"Uh, yeah, now's not really a good time he-" The person didn't deem to listen as they walked passed Calum and into the apartment, and that's when I saw him, He looked as tired as he sounded, he had dark bags under his eyes and his hair was a mess its usually quiff style gone and replaced by that old flat hair that he used to have when we were younger. My heart clenched at the thought of her running her hands through the soft strands.