The Stars Refuse To Shine

I woke up the next morning in an unfamiliar bed. I was still in the wedding dress, and Kyle's scent surrounded me. Only moments after sitting up and wiping my eyes, he opened the door and stepped in.

"Good morning, sleepy head." He laughed, sitting beside me.

I rolled my eyes, "How did I get here?"

"You fell asleep outside." He explained, "I carried you up here."

"You better not have done anything to me." I growled.

"What kind of person do you think I am?" He asked in an offended voice, "I wouldn't do anything without permission."

"Just making sure." I replied, "Well, it was sweet of you to bring me here."

He smiled, standing back up, "I heard your mother already picked your father up from the hospitsl. Do you want me to walk you home to see him?"

"I can walk myself home." I replied, giving him a little smile.

I got up and stretched with a yawn, before immediately heading downstairs and out the door. Before I even made it a few steps, Kyle's arm looped through mine.

"I said I can go myself." I tried to pull my arm free.

"I want to make sure my wife is safe." He kissed my cheek.

At this point, I was slightly annoyed, but his sweet smile somehow seemed to calm me, "Fine."

We started walking to my house, or I guess my old house, in silence. There wasn't really anything to fear in our little city, but I did feel safer with him beside me. To distract myself from constantly wanting to look over at him, I focussed on the birds chirping around me. I watched a couple squirrels leap from fences to trees at the sound of a car starting.

Before I knew it, we were at my doorstep. I thanked Kyle, then went inside. I could hear my mother murmuring something from the living room, so I poked my head around the corner. My father was sitting in his usual spot on the couch, and had my mother standing in front of him, leaning over with her arms around him.

"I love you." I could hear in her voice that she was on the verge of tears.

I stepped into the room, "Are you feeling better, dad?"

She pulled away and sniffled as he turned to me, "Who are you?"

That question felt like a knife slicing through my chest. It took me a few moments to figure out how to respond, "It's me, dad... Your daughter, Jade."

"I don't have a daughter." He put his hands on his head, "Do I?"

My mother turned to the kitchen, then beckoned me to follow. Once we were out of direct earshot, she whispered, "The doctors said his tumour is developing too fast. They said he... he'll be lucky to make it another week."

"But..." I didn't know what to say. I felt a lump in my throat as I refused to let the tears form. I had to be strong for her, "I thought we'd have at least a few more weeks, even months."

She wrapped her arms around me, letting her tears fall, "I know, honey."

Hugging her, I had to fight even harder to prevent myself from letting my own fall, "He's going to a better place."

"When I picked him up." She pulled back to grab some paper towel to wipe her eyes and nose, "The first thing he said was, 'Do I know you? You look familiar.'"

"Mom..." I didn't know how to comfort her.

"And he didn't even recognize his own daughter in the slightest!" She went on, losing her hushed voice, "I hate seeing him like this!"