Present

SONDRA

My mother told me that my dad was a chief. That I was the Chiefs daughter. If I am, then why was our village invaded, why were we taken from our home, why was my mother taken away from me, & why was I sold to a family? I asked myself these questions when a strong white man with broad shoulders picked me up & carried me to a cart.
He put me in the back with the food, wood, & other stuff. I turned to look at the front. The man who carried me was driving while there was a boy about my age sitting next to him. I was 5.
I was staring at the world around me. I saw other people my color working in fields with plants. I saw tall stone huts, some different colors like red, blue, & white. We stopped at a hut surrounded by tall fences. I looked at the hut & it was tall & white.
The man & the boy got out & came around the back. The boy stared at me as if I was an alien. The man picked me up & started walking to a little brown hut that was close to the big brick hut. The boy followed. There was a young woman that had brown eyes & black hair. The woman was a little younger than the man, but old enough.
They started talking in a language I didn't understand. The boy just staring at me. The man left & took the boy with him.

KADE

I was inside the house with my dad. He was in the bedroom with my mom, talking to her about a new edition. I put my ear closer to the door. Everything was still muffled.
"What're you doing Kade?" My older brother asked me.
"Who's Sondra?" I asked him.
"The little black girl that's working for us?" He replied.
"What will she be doing?"
"Why are you asking so many questions?"
"Because I've never seen one my age before." he shrugged his shoulder & walked down the hall.