Chapter One

Enjoy x

Roommates: Chapter One 

I sat on our beaten up, old blue couch shuffling between the channels on the television; there was nothing good on at this late hour, yet I couldn't fall asleep. There were classes on early tomorrow morning, or should I say this morning as it was almost 3am, and I was stuck waiting up for Luke to come back to the apartment.

He'd gone out every night this week with her and they would always come stumbling back at the latest times of the night. I hated her. She was not good for him. She didn't love Luke, not the way I did. Yet Luke loves her and is way too blind to see what a manipulative witch she was. I was worried about him, it's gotten pretty late and I know how cranky Luke could get in the mornings when he had a hang over.

Sometimes having Luke as a roommate was the worst thing in the world. He was messy, didn't know how to cook a thing, flooded the bathroom everytime he took a shower, never knew where he put his underwear so he would steal mine, and when we would cuddle his broad shoulders and long legs would take up more than half the space of the bed...and I had to deal with listening to him bring her back to our home.

I hated it.

I hated him.

Except I didn't.

Because having Luke as a roommate was also the best thing in the world. We ordered pizza whenever we wanted and on occasion he would take me out to get pizza, late night cuddles were always welcome with him and I didn't mind having him pull me extra close because of how much room he took up, he took my nightmares away, and that boys bedhead was the most adorable thing I have ever seen with it laying flat on his forehead, and his deep, raspy morning voice that gave me chills every time I heard it.

I loved it.

I loved him.

I could never tell him that, not in the way I really mean it, it would ruin our friendship and I couldn't lose him, I needed him in my life. We tell each other 'I love you' all the time, but it hurts, it hurts because he only means it in the best friend kind of way. It had been getting harder and harder to say it back now that my feelings for him have gotten stronger.

Many thoughts of Luke raced through my mind to pass the time until there was a rattle of the doorknob and a jingle of keys at the door of the apartment, a small mumble of profanities came from the other side, he was probably too drunk to open the door, I smiled, he's finally home and he's okay. I got up off my seat, headed towards the door with a big smile on my face, it was time for sleepy cuddles and I had been waiting all night for this. Whenever he was drunk he became very cuddly and adorable and he never understood the meaning of personal space.

I heard him mumble something in his drunken state but I froze with my hand on the door handle as I heard a giggle emit from someone; he wasn't alone, he had brought her back with him.

I quickly retracted my hand and sprinted as fast as my long legs would take me to my room before they could see me, I didn't want him to know that I had waited up for him to come home, I didn't want her to have the satisfaction of knowing that he didn't care about me the way he did for her.

I couldn't let them see me cry. I sighed, feeling my throat close up and tears prick at my eyes, I could hear their stumbling and kissing through the thin apartment walls. I don't think I can stand to hear them do this again, he's probably taking her to his room and they will probably sleep together and I just can't. I forced the tears back and walked towards my closet, I won't let myself cry over them again, not anymore. I'm not staying here tonight, I needed to get away. I grabbed clothes for the next day and my phone charger along with my phone, quickly sending a text to Calum.

Michael: Hey Cal, I know it's really late and I'm sorry if you're sleeping but I just, he brought her home again and I can't stay here.

Calum: Hey mate, its okay I just got home, you can stay here for tonight if you need to. X

I locked my phone screen before making sure the hallway was empty before stepping out of my room. I quickly glanced at his door, making my way out of the apartment, not before hearing a few words being exchanged.

"Rose stop, what if my roommate hears us?" My heartbeat picked up; maybe he did care and wouldn't do anything with her.

"Oh as if, Luke who cares about him, c'mon" I paused as silence filled the apartment for a full minute, I totally didn't count, before he finally breathed a reply.

"You're right, come here."

I bit my lip still holding the tears back before walking out of apartment 182 and slamming the door behind me. I didn't care if they heard, its not like he would come after me, after all, he only regarded me as his roommate.

I could feel the sadness slowly turn to anger as I thought about it all, I was angry at Luke for bring her to our apartment, I was angry at him for not seeing that I loved him the way I did, but most of all I was angry at myself.

How could I let myself fall in love with my best friend, how could I let myself become so stupid as to believe he could ever feel the same for me as I did for him, how did I get from hating that stupid short kid with the horrible blonde fringe and bright blue eyes back in grade nine to falling in love with the tall blonde quiffed boy with the brightest blue eyes and adorable laugh, who just so happened to become my best friend?

I stuffed my hands into my coat pockets trying to stay warm in the cold weather and letting out small sniffles as I walked down the footpath to the apartment complex a few blocks away from Luke's and mine.

The University campus was still buzzing with students coming back from parties, drunk and stupid, but happy and carefree which is all I wished I could be. I stood in from of the buildings front door before pressing the buzzer for apartment 105, the sound was faint but still annoying, and it buzzed for a few moments before a voice answered.

"Mike? C'mon up bro"

I took one last look up towards my own apartment building, Luke's bedroom window right in view, the shadows of two bodies discarding clothing was seen through the cheap blinds, I squeezed my eyes shut and made my way in just as the lights switched off in apartment 182.