Really?

The orphanage, where the six-year-old Tom Marvolo Riddle lived was not really the best example of the British welfare system, although the building was in good condition,and the children were given clothing and food as needed.

For the postwar Britain, so soon after the victory over Germany, these circumstances were actually more than satisfactory.
But there was a lack of teachers and the ones they had were not second but third class.
In addition, there was a high proportion of former street boys who had brought their way of life in to the Orphanage.
This led to oppression and exploitation of the weaker and younger children and disrespect for the adults. Last turn led to punitive measures against the whole group, in the mistaken belief that punishing them all in this way would make the guilty feel some sort of regret.

Yes, you could say that Tom Marvolo Riddle was a very unhappy little boy.

He didn't know any better.
Nor could he remember his parents.

The first two years he had been in the hospital on the children's ward and then he came to the orphanage.

He knew nothing else.

He had hidden his feelings, dodged the older children when needed and went to school just as much as possible.
That distracted him and gave him the feeling that he was more than a little brat, a useless orphan boy or a freak.

The only days on which all behaved as well as possible were the ones where someone came to visit. They knew each pair that entered were prospective parents.
And even if the elder children knew that it was unlikely that they would be selected, even they followed the rules on those days.

After all...hope is the last to die.

Unfortunately, this good behavior would only last until the the happy couple had disappeared with their new son again.
Then everything would go back to normal.

The last visit day had been particularly disappointing for Tom.
He had believed to have made it.
The woman wanted to have him.

But her husband had decided otherwise and thus she was outvoted.

They had taken Alex, a four year old.
It was the first time that Tom came to understand why the older children there called it;' butcher time '. Just as the couple had talked about him and Alex, they could just as well have been in the market arguing about which leg of pork was the juiciest.

Today the next couple had come.
Behind them came a young person from whom Tom assumed was probably their son.

The children were lined up in their best clothes in front of their beds.

The director of the orphanage went with the family past them and explained every now and then, what weaknesses they had or what background.

One or the other boy raised his eyebrows, to what he said.

Each time the same.
Half of what he said was bullshit.

Tom kept his eyes directed to the ground as if they weren't there.
It was a technique he had copied from other children.

If he couldn't see them and pretended they weren't there, then they couldn't see him and no one could hurt him again.

Why did he have to be here?
They wouldn't choose him anyway.

...Nobody wanted him...

When he finally looked up again, the couple had actually picked one of the three year olds.

Big surprise.

The Director said something to the young man and left withe the parents.

The man let his gaze wander once more upon the children.

Why was he still there?

The children looked at each other uncertainly. Was that it?
Could they leave now?

Tom looked at the boy uncomfortably and flinched as his eyes came to rest upon him.

He jerked his head toward the door.

Tom followed him.

The boy closed the door behind them and went down on one knee to be at eye level with him.

"Hi."

"Hello," Tom replied.
He was confused.

The boy smiled and held out his hand.
"My name is Harry. What's your name?

"Tom"

When he made no move to take the hand, Harry pulled it back, he didn't look disappointed, only asked: "Pretty stupid, the whole charade in there, huh?"

Tom didn't know exactly what the other thought of the matter, but he nodded.

Harry smiled and seemed suddenly nervous.
"Um, no idea how to do this the right way, but maybe you'd like to come with me?"

Tom looked at him with wide eyes.
"W-what?"

"Would you like to live with me, be taken to school by me to and let me give you presents on your birthday?"

Adoption.

Tom was excited.

Someone wanted him.

This boy was going to take him.

But wasn't he just that?

A boy?

And the couple, weren't they his parents?

But they had already decided...

The boy took careful Tom's small hands in his.
"I mean it, as verifiable say it, Tom. No ulterior motives. Word of honor. "

Tom nodded automatically and asked the first thing that came to his mind. "How old are you?"

Harry smiled.
"Twenty Four."

"Oh."
How old is he did not look Well, old with the eyes of a six year old just The next question was important.

"Why me?"

His 24 year old potential savior from the orphanage expressed again his hands and then let them go.
"Why not you, Tom? Why not? "

Tom swallowed.
He was six and not stupid. He knew Harry had evaded his question.
But Harry's question was fair.
Should he tell him, why not?
He squared his little shoulders and closed his eyes.
"I...I'm..."

"Tom?"
Harry interrupted him gently.

"You're different than the other kids here. Is that what you mean?"

He nodded.
So, that's it.
Now he wouldn't want him.
Toms eyes wandered to the ground once again.

When Harry said nothing, Tom became restless. Hesitantly, he looked back at Harry...and smiled.

"Can I tell you a secret?"

He just looked at him uncertainly.
What if Harry wanted to back-out now?

"I'm different," said Harry and his smile became a grin.

"Really?" Tom asked, his voice just a surprised whisper.

"Really," Harry whispered back.

A/N: What do you guys thing of the first chapter?
Feedback is hilly appreciated (: