Chapter 25

~🌾Will🌾~

It was a cold morning. Gray clouds blotted out the sun. The walls within Castle Redmont were silent. Despite Baron Arald's death, there were no guards on duty. The castle was completely empty, bare and exposed. A shell of what it had once been.

Will kept his head down, watching his feet. The castle staff walked beside him, silent with the exception of tears that stained just about everyone's faces. Baron Arald had been kind, and everyone loved his sense of humor, even if they failed to show it in his presence. Guards, craftsmen, servants; everyone had been invited to attend the funeral. Even the knights, who planned to ride into battle after they paid their respects.

It was an odd feeling to be walking in the funeral procession of someone that was still alive. It gnawed at Will's insides, and he had to bite down on his tongue to stop himself from shouting. Everyone was so sad; it hurt him to think of their reactions when they found out the truth. There would be backlash, anger. No one liked being lied to, not even lies that benefited the better good. It was especially worse since the lie was no small matter. It hurt people; it cut deep. And it was one of those lies that would spin and spin, growing bigger every second.

Will could feel his resolve breaking the longer he thought about it. Baron Arald wasn't dead. He was alive. Alive and well. Clenching his fists, he let out a breath. He could hear the sound of doors closing. More and more people merged into the crowd. They must have reached Wensley village now. Soon, they would come to a stop. There would be speeches, memories, and there would be more tears. Wasted tears that could have been spent on something or someone of actual worth.

Will let his eyes close when they finally arrived. He took in a slow, shaky breath. The cold bit into his skin, frost touching his fingertips. He shivered, freezing when the voices of the choir drifted up in the cool air. They sang a solemn song, and their harmonies sent chills down his spine.

He kept his head down, refusing to lift it up. If he did, he would have truly broken. He would have ruined the whole operation, and he would have been disgraced for the rest of his life. To everyone, he looked lost in his grief, mourning for the lost baron. And they pitied him. Will didn't want to face that.

He did, however, force himself to look up when a hand squeezed his shoulder. Alyss smiled sadly at him as Jenny fell in place on his other side. George stood beside her, and Will looked further down the line, expecting to find Horace. Except he wasn't there.

Will hated to admit that he let out a breath of relief at that. He didn't want to have to deal with him that day. Glancing at Jenny and George who were captivating at the choir, Will straightened. They didn't know. Jenny and George weren't there. And Alyss... she was there, but she seemed to have no problem hiding the truth.

There were plenty of others who knew too, Baron Arald included. Will wondered how he was feeling. It must have been strange to watch his own funeral.

"Are you okay?" Alyss whispered to him.

Will looked at her. Was he okay?

It was a good question, and he didn't know the answer to it. He was on the brink of ruining everything. Will parted his lip as he looked around at all the people. He was nobody compared to them. He was a farmer. A farmer mixed in with a crowd of scribes, couriers, knights, and rangers. Maybe that was why he was no good at lying. Why he was put off to the side without a part to play.