Chapter 1

~🌾Will🌾~

Will slumped down in relief as his skin tickled at the slight drop in temperature. He grunted as he leaned back on his haunches, propping himself up with the palms of his hands. Looking up, he allowed himself a small trace of a smile. After sixteen years of living on the farm, he still found the sunset breathtaking. It was so much like an oil painting, he almost always thought it was fake. The reds and blues swirled together creating the strokes of a brush and the clouds always seemed to pop.

Pushing himself to stand, Will dropped his sickle into the nearby basket of reaped grains and pulled off his gloves. He wiped his face with a towel hanging from his belt before letting it lay across his neck. His limbs ached as he hefted up the basket, but Will didn't complain. He was used to the sores and pains of farmlife. Still, he hated summers. The days were longer, and the preparation for harvest season were hard.

He lugged the basket of grains towards the storage area, setting it down quickly as if he had dropped it. Rubbing his shoulder, Will stepped onto the verandah of a small cottage. He stood still for a minute, throwing his head back as his mouth wavered at the aroma of dinner.

"Will, honey?" The door opened. "Are you just going to stand there or are you going to come in?"

Laughing, Will pulled the nimble woman into an embrace, pressing a quick kiss on her cheek. "Hello to you too, Mum." He released her, looking around the small living area. "Is Dad back yet?"

Will's mother shook her head, moving back to the stove. "You know your father," she said. "Always out working. Would you cut the bread, please?"

It didn't take long for the table to be set, and soon, the door opened to reveal Will's father. "Dad!" he greeted, standing from his chair.

"Will," the man chuckled, shutting the door behind him. "Sophia." He smiled at his wife. "Boy, I'm exhausted," he said, ruffling Will's hair as he took his seat. "Let's eat!"

The family dug into the hearty beef stew, all ravenous from the day's work. "Why are you always out so late, Dad?" Will asked in between his gulps. "There's only so much to do."

"Oh, Will," Daniel shook his head. "There's always something to be done. Better to do them now than later."

Will nodded, expecting the answer. He had asked the question many times, and the answer was always the same. There was always something to be done.

"You'll be the same one day," his father continued. Will looked up. His father had never said anything afterwards. "One day, you'll be out working even later than me."

"I don't think so," Will blurted.

"Oh?"

Will shook his head, mopping up the remains of his stew with some bread. "Don't you ever get tired of the farm?" Daniel glanced at Sophia, who shrugged. Will continued. "I want to be a knight— " he hesitated, shaking his head. "Nevermind," he said. "It's just a dream. Nothing else."

"Will," his mother started, but he cut her off.

"No, sorry," Will said, standing as he collected the bowls and spoons. "I'll do the dishes."

Heading outside, Will headed towards the small stream near the back of the house. He sighed, crouching down. He scrubbed the bowls long and hard. He just had to ruin everything. What would his parents think of him now? They loved life here.

Will looked mindlessly at the woods across the stream. It had been so long since he went in them. He was just a child the last time. Perhaps he could go— no. Will gave his head a shake, setting himself straight. It was late. His parents would soon worry.

He walked back towards the small cottage, freezing as he heard arguing. His eyes widened. His parents never argued. Were they arguing about him? Was this his fault? Sucking in a breath, Will pressed his back against the wall. After a moment, he exhaled. There was a third voice. It wasn't about him. But who would be visiting so late? Leaning his head back, Will positioned his ear so that he could listen in.

"What do you mean there is a new tax?" Daniel asked loudly. "There was one issued last month!" 

"King Morgarath demands it."

"For what?" Sophia dared to ask. "Why does he need it?"

"That information is confidential."

"This is outrageous!" Daniel exclaimed.

"You have until next week," the messenger firmly said.

Will straightened up as he heard the footsteps. He furrowed his brows. Why would the King need more coin? He knew that his parents had paid much of their profit last month.

Gathering the bowls, he quietly stepped on the verandah and stepped inside. His parents turned to stare as he set the bowls and spoons in their rightful place.

"How much did you hear, son?" his father asked.

"Enough," Will sighed. "Good night, Dad, Mum."

Will walked into his room, shutting the door behind. Shimmying out of his shirt, he crawled under the blankets. He must have lain awake for at least half an hour, unable to doze off.

"Will?" His door creaked open. "Are you awake?"

Will pulled the blanket over his head. "No."

Feeling his mother sit on the edge of the bed, Will sighed and pushed the blanket back down. "Mum?"

"I know you must be troubled about earlier." Will said nothing, and she continued. "I just wanted to let you know that your father and I will accept whatever path you decide to take."

Will shook his head. "I don't have a choice, Mum. You heard what that messenger said. We need to pay the taxes. I have to stay and help."

Sophia smiled softly. "Oh, Will. You needn't worry about us. We'll be fine."

"But you don't have enough!" Will cried out. "You'd get kicked out of this farm. I can't let that happen."

"Your happiness is more important, Will," she said. "As long as you're happy, we'll be happy."

"But— "

"No buts," she shushed him, leaning in to kiss his forehead before heading back to the room she shared with Daniel. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mum."

"Oh! One more thing." Sophia looked back at Will just before she left the room. "Would you mind going out to the market tomorrow? I have a list of things I need."

Will nodded, settling down in his bed. "Okay."

Will watched his mother leave, a thought surfacing in his mind. He pressed his lips into a thin line. The market wasn't the only thing he needed to do tomorrow.