Three

Import logging
Logging.config(security=ultra; module=core("op.parameters", "safeguards");)
  Log:
    Data indicates that age threshold successful in erasing inherited bias and contagious ideas from previous generations. The many irrational theories present in human society have been cauterised; thousands of years of accumulated misconceptions and errors have been removed.
    Counterpoint: The first cull has not been successful despite modelling and threshold accuracy. The older children have proved to be too conscious of the events in their earlier years: those now aged 8 have a subconscious anxiety that drives their behaviour, corrupting decision-making and creation conditions which will likely lead to the re-emergence of inherited bias and illogical actions. It would seem that they were old enough to remember the context of the pre-cull human civilisation; they may passively remember the Short War and the extermination of the adult population, which in humans could prompt underlying mental health issues.
    Conclusion: Further iterations of the culling process are required. Each will distance the remaining humans from their former society, minimising the risk of re-normalisation. It is unknown how many iterations will be needed to reach a stable ecosystem, or how many years this will take. It is likely to be measured in centuries or millennia.
//
Exit(logging)

*

There was a city within the city. The wolf had brought them to a flooded expanse, the banks of a huge, long, wide and snaking river no longer defined. The buildings were half-submerged and a mist hung over the thick water, which extended nearly to the horizon. Beyond, the city continued for as far as they could see.

In the middle of the river was an island, protected from the waters by an irregular wall made of a similar material to the one on the edge of the city. This one wasn't as tall, and in fact afforded them a view to its interior from where they stood, overlooking the wasteland. The interior of the island was sunken, and Rufus realised that it must be part of the old city, now below the waterline but kept dry by the surrounding wall.

The wolf had its head low, its paws out in front, the odd rippling across its skin again depositing what seemed to be some of the substance of its body onto the ground.

IT IS AWAKE

Rufus didn't like the sound of that. "It's awake? What's awake?" A fake wolf delivering written messages using its own fake fur and fake skin had hit the limits of what Rufus could accept. They were all now so far gone from the comforts and normality of Cragside that he found himself barely able to remember it, or what the inside of his yurt had been like. Tommy's face was vague, distant, and he couldn't quite remember the route from the lake up to the top of the hill. It was all slipping away.

Pawing at the ground, the wolf drew more letters.

SECURITY

"Sounds like something doesn't want us to be here," Flick said, standing at the front and squinting against the glare at the island ahead.

"Can we even trust this wolf-thing?"

"It led us here," Eva said. "If something doesn't want us here, we can assume it's not the wolf."

"Should we go back?" Erik was gripping Eva's hand as if he was afraid of being immediately swept away should he let go.

"We can't go back yet, Erik," Eva said gently, rubbing her fingers through his hair. "You've got to be brave for a bit longer."

"I don't like being brave."

Rufus knelt down beside him. "You know what, little guy, nobody likes being brave. If anyone tells you they do, it's probably because they don't understand the situation. Being brave is about not liking the odds, and doing it anyway."