Chapter 10 | Lucky Them

The return to Hogwarts had been a happy one

  The return to Hogwarts had been a happy one. Harry and Amare talked away their holiday, busy making up for the lost time. He told her about his venture to the third floor corridor, much to her disappointment at having missed that. He burned with desire to get to the library already and read about Nicolas Flamel. What could possibly be of such value to intimidate even the supposedly powerful Albus Dumbledore? Amare's theory (and Harry's too) was that Dumbledore wanted to test Harry with whatever was hidden. Would he be tempted to keep it to himself, or would he help secure it and leave it be? Harry was no saint and if he would so like, he would take it in a heartbeat.

The usual hassle of students talking excitedly about their time apart filled the castle during the first week of school. Harry was pleasantly surprised to find his garden still growing but noticed one plant in particular ate his closest companion. He cringed at the brutality of magical plants, and after exchanging hellos with Neville, began planning how to use those qualities to his advantage. A plant or a human- would it differentiate between the two?

Malfoy caught Harry in the library, at the end of the first week. It was a cold Friday afternoon and the amount of snow outside made the ground glow. Harry warmed himself up by conjuring a little blue flame inside a jar, hidden away from Madam Pince's stern gaze .He had just been reading about the life of Flamel and his many accomplishments when he was interrupted unexpectedly by the shuffle of feet in front of him.

"Potter." Malfoy said awkwardly, if determinedly. Harry raised an eyebrow in question. "How were the Holidays?" he continued unsurely.

"Insightful," he answered shortly. If the pale boy wanted something out of him he better get straight to the point- Harry hadn't forgotten his annoyance with the boy. Draco noticed Harry's lack of interest and took a deep breath.

"I wanted to...apologize," he talked as though reading out of a parchment and Harry's eyebrows lifted up, "It was unbecoming of me to antagonize a fellow heir. I wish to extend a hand of peace and hopefully future friendship, which would greatly benefit the both of us." He finished and nodded to himself subconsciously. Harry fought a mocking smile- at least the boy attempted to be mature.

"Pass my regards to Lucius- tell him I accept his apology," he watched with a calculated stare as Draco turned red at the implication, "You, on the other hand... are up to debate." Draco's face fell. It was clear he wanted to reply but held himself back.

He silently judged the boy for a few minutes as he thought. Friendship with Draco would benefit him due to his connections to Lucius and thus to many, many, important individuals in the Ministry. Lucius was a figure to watch out for. Many whispers surrounded the man- whispers of dark deeds. And he could vouch for Sirius, if Harry so needed. But Draco... he could get him closer to the Slytherins. They would follow him, wouldn't they?

"My preposition is this- You take me to the Slytherin common room, introduce me and I will agree to tolerate your existence near me." He finished with a smile that contradicted his cold train of thoughts. Draco frowned at the not do hidden insult, but what could he do? He couldn't disappoint his father.