9. Cooper

My Alpha and my best friend who has been more like a brother to me than my own older brother are mates. The same best friend who is dating my baby brother Peyton. I honestly don't know what to think, Peyton has no idea of what exists out there because I sheltered him from a lot. Our parents died when we were young and our older brother was a monster. 

All my life I had to protect him even though I myself was a target in high school. That's why I was the so-called 'nerd' because I wanted to be the role model he needed. He's been through so much and I couldn't allow him to follow the path I so desperately tried to hide from him. 

"Zoning out again?" Gregory said. 

"Reflecting." I smiled.

"As usual, about what?" He asked. 

"Besides David being pregnant again, you and your mate." Gregory just nodded. 

I still couldn't believe my Alpha and best friend are mates. 

"So… Travis huh?" I said not really knowing what to say. 

"Yup." He said. 

"Forgive me for asking this Alpha, but what are you planning on doing since you are in a relationship with someone who isn't your mate?" I asked. 

"I was hoping you could tell me, this is my first real relationship since high school. I was honestly beginning to believe I was born mateless." He said as we sat on my patio swing. 

"Well, I'm not exactly great with relationship advice, you and I both know being a twig turned a lot of people off back then." I said. 

"But you have a husband now, come on I'm desperate. There has to be something in that strong head of yours that could help me." I hummed. 

"Well the only thing I could advise is get to know Travis, go out for breakfast before you both go to work, it's the only time you have free so make use of it even if it's earlier than you normally would go out in the morning, make the time. Even if my brother likes him, you're mates and that is the most important thing right now." He nodded, taking in my words like he usually does when we talk like this. 

"And that is why you are my Beta, you advise me when needed." We both chuckled. 

"So you just use me for my big brain?" I asked, teasing him. 

"Not exactly, I'm not threatening you to do my homework." He laughed. 

"Fair enough… but truthfully speaking as a friend than Beta, do what's right for you. You're twenty-six and I can tell you don’t want to hurt Alec, he didn’t ask for this but you can’t lead him on thinking he has a future with you with all due respect of course. Your soon to be Alpha for a reason, do what you think is right for everyone. We do what we can in our own way to be happy. Who knows, maybe you'll be the first Alpha with more than one true mate." I said. 

"I love when you're so raw and truthful in your words. Also no Alec isn’t my mate, no mate pull to him, just attraction and affection is what I feel and he is a good man, has a good heart and I do love him but since I met Travis, I can’t deny the feelings I have for him already. I’m just confused and conflicted on what to do" He said and hugged me.

"I can see that Alec is a good guy and that you are happy with him but you know no one compares to your mate, as I said do what you feel is right.”  

The next few hours were just as usual, going over paperwork in my office as he went to work after our run that we usually take every morning, that’s why he was at the packhouse so early, training, and being with my family.

"Gregory seems in his own world." David said as we were on the couch cuddling. 

"He's conflicted, he'll figure it out in time what to do." I said kissing him and rubbing his growing baby bump.