Chapter One: Family

(English is not my first language, so please, in you find something in this story that sounds awkward, let me know so i can correct it. Hope you enjoy my first story on wattpad!)

Chapter One: Family

“Wanna help wrap the gifts?” Caleb asked his mother.

Christmas had always been a special season for Caleb. He loved to decorate the house, to choose gifts, to prepare the Christmas dinner with his mother and Jake, her husband, and of course, to welcome his relatives on this magical night. This year, however, he couldn’t help but to feel a little uneasy. It would be the first Christmas in thirteen years that he would spend in the presence of his father and brother.

Gina, Caleb’s mother, smiled at him, putting down the bags full of chocolates on the kitchen countertop.

“Later, we have to fix dinner first. Jake will be here any minute,” she stated, ruffling his brown hair as if he was still six years old.

Sometimes Caleb thought his family was a bit unusual. It wasn’t the fact that his parents were divorced, that was really no big deal. His father, however - he felt like he didn’t really know him.

Father had moved to Europe when Caleb was only four, taking his older brother, Adam, with him. After that, father and son had only met once, two years later, when the former had managed to get the time and the money to pay a little visit. In the years that followed, the young boy had suffered from some abandonment issues. Why did his father choose his brother to travel with him, instead of Caleb himself? Well, Caleb knew he wasn’t Gina and Peter’s biological son; they had adopted him when he was still a baby, as after giving birth to Adam she was not able to get pregnant anymore. Could it be because of that?

Now at seventeen, the boy of course understood his parents’ decision. A four-year-old child is still too dependent for someone who intends to establish a life in a whole new country. Adam, on the other hand, was already eight by then, and very capable of taking care of himself. Caleb still felt a little bit of healthy jealousy towards his brother, though. Living in Europe sounded like adventure to someone who, like him, had never left the small town where he was born.

His father had not come to visit him in a while because of financial issues which he never seemed to overcome and which Caleb never understood completely. However, a few months ago, Peter had won the first prize of some sort of European lottery and, unbelievably, became a billionaire overnight. Feeling no less than happy for her ex-husband, Gina had invited him and the son that she had not seen for years to spend Christmas with them, now that they could easily afford the trip.

Caleb sighed while separating the bags with gifts from the ones with groceries and proceeded to pack up the latter in the kitchen cabinets. While he saw his father through a webcam twice a week and, from time to time, his brother would also exchange a few words with him, he still felt like they were only distant relatives. In terms of space and emotional binding, they actually were.

“Don’t make such a face, darling. I’m a little anxious too, but there is no reason to be so glum,” his mom said, as if she could read his mind, while tying her blond hair behind her head.

In that simple and familiar moment, the phone rang and disrupted the peace. Gina walked to the living room to answer the call while Caleb kept packing up the groceries. He dropped everything when, moments later, he heard a muffled interjection, and ran to his mother immediately. When the boy saw her with her hand covering her mouth, her bloodshot eyes spilling tears over her cheeks, he knew that something really, really bad was happening. His mother was so not the type of person to cry over nothing.

“Caleb… sweetheart…” Gina sobbed, grabbing her son’s arm with a trembling hand. “Your father…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please don't forget to vote ;) Any feedback is also welcome!

New cover by Contagious_