Chapter 15

A crimson red stream of blood spat out of the end of the clean, headless neck. The corpse of the young girl slumped to the floor and her head rolled to the edge of the room, making contact with the cold, cement wall.

A satisfied smirk crossed the man's face, but it wasn't obligatory. He hated his job with every fibre of his being, and if there was a way he could go back to his old life, he would.

The young boy and object of the mission stood slumped over, too, catching breaths as if he were dying.

"Mylo," the man cooed, feeling terrible for what he had done. He needed to explain to the boy exactly what was going on, before Phantom took complete control of his communicative Refiner.

"Why couldn't you kill me? She did nothing wrong..." His voice was brittle and quiet, like he was about to crumble into a million pieces.

The man moved to console the boy, but his feet were stuck in place. Phantom regained control and his vision went solid black, his body numb.

What am I doing? I'm scared... I'm so scared...

The voice of his childhood shook in the back of his head, and he felt his soul shake. He was cold and alone. He was probably doing or saying something terrible to the young boy.

It seemed an eternity before he regained control of his body. But he only realized this when he was back at headquarters.

"Well done, Diablo," a hard, mocking voice erupted from above him.

Diablo tried to look up but his body wouldn't let him. His arms were tied with barb-wire chain that shredded his flesh when he moved. His legs were the same.

His head was held in place with a coiled copper cord that seemingly wrapped around from his collarbone to his chin. When he attempted again at moving his head, the copper tightened.

He let out a yelp of pain and the voice above him chuckled in response. Footsteps walked down a short flight of stairs and a cold, hard pair of hands rested on his shoulders.

"Oh, Diablo. We founded this place together. Why is it that you have to ruin our plans?" She squeezed his shoulders hard and he winced. Warm blood trickled down his arms.

She let go of him and walked in front of the chair he was sitting in so she could see him better.

"I don't believe you kept our promise," Diablo croaked, tears breaking from his eyelids. "Create the perfect community. Get rid of threats. That was it, wasn't it?"

The woman offered Diablo a pitiful glance and then got down on her knees before him. "Yes, Diablo. However, in order to do that, we have to eliminate the memories and ties coordinated with the subjects." Looking up at him, she smiled. "You gave that boy a chance of remembering. Do you know what that means?"

Diablo didn't respond.

The woman sighed and stood up, walking back around the chair. "He'll be in a lot of pain, Diablo. He will be forced to cooperate. We can't have him jeopardizing the goal. It would be quite problematic, you know."

Before Diablo could say anything, he felt a sharp pain glide along his triceps. Something scraping along the scratches and ridding the blood from his flesh.

Her metallic tongue.

"Your blood tastes wonderful, Diablo. Why don't you ever share it with me?" Her voice was smooth and calming, but it gave Diablo shivers.

"Please, stop..." He whispered, growing dizzy.

"Oh, but it is just so delectable, you know. It's the only thing I've been able to taste with this tongue," her mouth retouched his arm and he tensed. This only caused the wire to cut his arms more. "You know I'll have to eliminate you, don't you?"

Diablo shut his eyes and breathed out to keep his calamity.

"It's a shame, really. I loved you so much. But you know? You've become a threat to our association, so you can no longer exist. You understand, don't you?" Her voice got nasally and hot tears stung the wounds on Diablo's arms, but no sadness warped her voice--she sounded curious.

"He'll find a way to overcome this hell you've created," Diablo stated coldly. Did it matter what he said? She'd kill him anyway.

The woman glided around the chair once more to look at him. Her eyes were filled with salty, red tears and her pale lips were covered with sloppily-drunken blood. Her eyebrows were creased with pity and her hair was matted in a sweaty mess.

"Diablo, I love you." Her voice was stern, and her lips trembled when she said it, her voice wavering slightly. She leaned in close to him, planting a passionate kiss on his lips. He could taste his own blood, almost about throw up.

When she pulled away, she cocked her head to the side. "Why won't you return my feelings? I might spare you if you do."

Diablo didn't meet her gaze. "I hate you."

She smiled, nodding, but sadness accompanied her understanding. Her tongue lapped up the blood on her lips and she backed away slowly. "I know that, but can't you just lie to me for once?"

Diablo looked up at her, watching as her hands shook unstably with a gun pointed at him. "I loved you when we were young, but you've grown insane with a passion for your screwed-up idea of 'perfection.' I will never love you again. All I have for you is hate."

He felt a weight lift from his shoulders. This was the end. And he was ready for it.

Her hands were trembling with fear. She screamed at him. "Why so honest, still? Now that you're about to be killed?! Do you want to die so badly?!"

Diablo gave her a sad smile. "Yes. I wanted to get my family back. You killed them. You stripped them away from me. Did you pity me? No. So I want to die, in order to be rejoined with my family. If you won't kill me, I'll do it myself."

She dropped the gun at her feet and wept large tears. "I'm so sorry, Diablo! My heart has grown rotten since we met. I am truly sorry for causing you so much pain!"

Diablo closed his eyes and looked down. "You won't have to worry about that anymore." His Refiner allowed him to transfer his Tool power to the loaded gun, and he levitated it to the front of his head.

The woman stood, screamed "no" as loud as she could, and ran towards him. It was a scene in slow-motion.

"Goodbye, Celeste." His lips moved quickly, and the words spoken shot sharp through the air.

The gunshot sounded around the room, echoing off the walls and rattling in her head.

Diablo was dead.

His blood spilled from his head and into his lap, soaking his jeans.

~~~~~

"Retrieve Maria from her group and bring her to me." First Chair's voice was hard and cold as she ordered Dylan. He bowed to her and left the room.

First Chair's icy blue eyes, old with age, squinted back tears. Could she ever get over the pain of the past? Her only sweet memory she could recall?

At first she thought she couldn't, but then her heart ached. Pain was inevitable when love was involved. Phantom was no longer about killing threats. It's new purpose was to rescue the potential new human race and reduce the pain of losing a loved one at a young age.

No one should go through what First Chair had to go through.

Dylan fizzled into view before her with the little girl, already dressed in cloak.

"She'll be transferring to WP7. As of late, we have a member that will be plucked from their team, so they need a standing member."

Dylan was about to argue, but his Modifier got the best of him. "Yes, my lady."

He disappeared with the girl and led her to her new group.

First Chair sighed deeply and stood from her chair. She would get rid of Trace. Diablo wouldn't be right.

Not again.