Epilogue

"He's already dead. No one can survive a Modifier removal. If it comes out, the central nerve cord comes with it."

"I agree with you completely. We knew he would die eventually. So why are you still hovering over him? Hope? Faith? What is your motivational purpose for waiting?"

Hailey turned from Trace's body and gave a sad smile to Dereck. "His heart isn't beating. And he's lucky that he is able to live in peace now. If he were here with us, he'd suffer more torment."

Dereck offered her a firm nod and squeezed her shoulder comfortingly as she cried over Trace's stone-cold corpse. Her tears soaked his blood-crusted white hair.

Dereck took a step back from her, possibly regretting his hate for Trace.

"Do you have any idea where Shallomar and Isaac went?" He questioned, looking around even though he knew they weren't present.

Hailey lifted her head up slightly. "They're probably somewhere around here. It's not like we can go anywhere anyhow."

They were indeed captured and force-teleported into the small apartment-like building of Tainted headquarters. What confused and saddened Hailey was the fact that Trace, as a member of WP7, showed up along with the teleportation.

Normally deceased members don't show up to a forced teleport.

"Okay, I'll go see if I can find them." Dereck bent over slightly and gave Hailey a light peck on the cheek, to which she showed no response.

Dereck left at once, disappearing into a separate quarter of the floor.

Hailey rested her cheek on Trace's chest and let her tears flow.

Really, it was such a terrible way to die. A Modifier removal. Hailey couldn't even imagine the pain Trace must've went through.

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed. "For all of the stuff you went through. For everything before and after you came to Phantom. No human should have to endure what we go through. And for that, I'm truly sorry." Clenching a fist of Trace's shirt, Hailey continued to weep. Feelings boiled into her throat and she coughed them into incoherent sentences.

She cried harder.

A hand suddenly rested on her head and she accepted this odd comfort. It was as if she were a dog being stroked. And she immediately assumed it was Dereck.

Continuing to cry, Hailey felt the hand moving soothingly over her hair. She rested her hand on top of the comforting one and then suddenly froze. The hand was abnormally cold.

Dead, almost.

Her tears stopped soaking her cheeks. Her breath caught in her throat.

"Trace!"

Her eyes darted to the seemingly alive corpse's head. Her tears dried immediately and then full, salty and warm tears of relief melted into her skin. She leapt forward and embraced Trace. His arms curled around her weakly and received the hug with grace.

Dereck slid into the room almost immediately, with equally-shocked Isaac, Shallomar, Peter, and Teresa.

"He's, he's..." Hailey stopped mid-sentence to stare at Trace, who was smiling brightly. He reached back behind his neck and brought his hand back, showing WP7 that there was no blood; he had been healed.

More than that. He felt fantastic with the love God had filled him with.

"It's an insane miracle, really," Isaac admired, taking a closer look. Teresa wasn't far behind.

Trace laughed, and it was warm and crisp. "You have no idea. I have so much to tell you."

Hailey smiled, the tears of happiness still rolling down her cheeks.

"Trace, we are stuck at Tainted's HQ. It's really important that we find a way to escape as soon as humanly possible."

Trace shook his head as his smile grew bigger. "Trust me. Everything is going to be fine." He turned to Shallomar and stretched his arms out to her.

She raced into them and wept joyful tears.

Trace pulled away a moment. "My name is Mylo, by the way. Call me that from now on."

Shallomar nodded and squeezed him tightly. She'd never let him go.

Not again.