Chapter 74

October 23 3018 TA

"Are you sure?" Elrond asked. Legolas looked alarmed at this point.

"Yes, she was fine." His face looked pale as if the thought that something was not fine was mortifying. To the Prince, it probably was.

"Has her gift been increasing?" Elrond pressed further. Legolas looked slightly caught off guard, but he considered the question.

"I suppose, yes, but it has been increasing since she was born."

"How far has her reach been lately?"

"My Lord… she told me to tell you that whatever is happening is happening quite quickly. She said that you would be aware of it, but that something dark was happening near Rivendell that was causing much fear."

Elrond studied him. "Has she said anything else?"

"Not to me," Legolas answered. "Last time we talked, however, Haldir said she knew something, but that she was not even telling him. He said to keep an eye on her while he was gone. My father is keeping an eye on her now."

"Could you feel her presence earlier?"

Legolas cocked his head. "I thought I felt something, but after only a second it was gone. Why do you ask all this?"

Elrond sighed. "In a Council that will be held as soon as Frodo is up and about, you will find out more and say what I guess your father sent you to say. For now, Frodo was on a very important mission to see through and he arrived here injured by the same that took your mother. Almiel reached him from Mirkwood to help bring him back just now." Legolas stared at him.

"That should be impossible."

"Apparently not," Gandalf said. Legolas was still in shock. He stumbled back into the seat behind him and got very pale.

"She's going to kill herself." He said, his voice so quiet neither of them were sure he was actually talking to them, and in truth he was actually talking to himself. He sank his head into his hands. "She's trying to make that stupid prophecy true."

Elrond's heart went out to the young ellon before him, hardly older than his own sons. He went to Legolas and knelt in front of him. "Your sister is very strong and stubborn, much like the rest of your family. There is hope for everyone yet, including your sister. We may all yet survive."

"It is like she is trying to die. Why does she insist on doing things like this? Surely you could have healed Frodo on your own."

"She wants to help." Gandalf said. "That was simply how she chose to do it."

Legolas did not reply. In truth, her family had always known she would die and had accepted that when she was born. She had been so full of life since then, however, that they stopped believing it would happen. Especially after she almost died twice and managed to survive. That she had pulled through had placed them all under false delusion that she might actually stay alive. Now, she was putting all that in jeopardy for a lot less than she had before. Therefore, Legolas was silent because he knew her better than both the Wizard and Healer, and he knew what could very well happen.

He suddenly stood. "Forgive me, I overreacted. I shall let you rest now, for I know you have been busy." He inclined his head again and left quickly.

Elrond and Gandalf looked at each other. "You told me you saw her dead in the Mirror."

"Well… that's what everyone assumed we saw, Almiel included. But just because she was sleeping with her eyes shut did not necessarily mean she was… dead." This time Elrond was silent, he knew very well that it probably was her death. "Those with foresight have been wrong before." Gandalf added.