Chapter 86

January 15-16 3019 TA

The hobbits did not sleep easily so high above the ground, excepting Sam. Finally they all fell asleep and were even snoring comfortably. "They are at least comfortable." Rúmil commented to Orophin, as Haldir was now taking watch.

"Indeed," he said. Then he hesitated. "I worry for our brother. He has become even stranger of late."

"It has to do with what he has told us of the bond he has with the Princess." Rúmil said.

"That's obvious," Orophin said. "What troubles me is they never even married and yet they are so tightly bonded. He has told us what might happen to her, but little else. If what he says comes true…"

"We will lose our brother." Rúmil finished. Then he sighed. "Strange acting or not, we can only be there for him, no matter what he decides to do. The world is acting strange, and we can only face it and hope the good will overcome the evil."

Orophin nodded silently. He opened his mouth to say something, before his mouth closed and he cocked his head. Enemies! Haldir yelled mentally at both of them. They grabbed their weapons and joined him. Roll up the ladders. He told them. Rúmil went to the hobbit's flet where he stuck his head through the hole and through up the ladder. Orophin heard him hiss "yrch!" to one of the hobbits, and one of them reply but then Rúmil reappeared. Haldir had gone to the other flet to roll up its ladder, but he found it already taken care of. Legolas peeked his head over the side and nodded at him.

Rest Legolas, there's nothing more you can do. There's too many. They will not make it past our borders. Legolas slowly nodded and then Haldir went back. Rúmil and Orophin had disappeared to confuse the enemy who was slowly moving away. Haldir glanced into the tree and saw something moving. He made ready to shoot, but did not, for fear its cry would bring the Orcs back. He tried to slip up the tree to catch it, but it suddenly vanished and was gone.

He sighed and finished climbing the tree, finding Frodo staring at him. "There was something in this tree I have never seen before." He said. "It was not an orc. It fled as soon as I touched the tree-stem. It seemed to be wary, and to have some skill in trees, or I might have thought that it was one of you hobbits. I did not shoot, for I dared not arouse any cries: we cannot risk battle. A strong company of Orcs has passed. They crossed the Nimrodel- curse their foul feet in its clean water!- and went on down the old road beside the river. They seemed to pick up some scent, and they searched the ground for a while near the place where you halted. The three of us could not challenge a hundred, so my brothers went ahead and spoke with feigned voices, leading them on into the wood. Orophin has now gone in haste back to our dwelling to warn our people. None of the Orcs will ever return out of Lórien. And there will be many Elves hidden on the northern border before another night falls. But you must take the road south as soon as it is fully light."

*

Rúmil and Haldir guided the Company the next day, but not before Legolas and Frodo both cried farewell to the Nimrodel. Sometime later, Haldir showed them how to cross the river with nothing but a rope. Legolas simply raised an eyebrow at him. "I may have this skill, but the others do not. Must they swim?"

"No!" said Haldir as if the thought itself was unthinkable. "We have two more ropes. We will fasten the above each other, and so these strangers will be able to cross with care." The Company crossed, with varying speeds, and Rúmil left them to go back to the Nimrodel to keep watch.

Here Haldir said that Gimli must be blindfolded, and that the rest would have to be later on, for no strangers were allowed to know their secrets. "I do not doubt you," Haldir said to Gimli's argument, "Yet this is our law. I am not the master of the law, and cannot set it aside. I have done much in simply letting you cross the Celebrant."