Back, Kind Of

"Mr. MacKenzie!" T'Pol called out.

"Yes, I see it," Aidan replied, "Hull plating is polarized."

"Helm about," she said to Chris Harris.

"Yes, Commander."

=/\= 

Jonathan could've sworn there were only maybe twenty-five or thirty people with him, but suddenly there were more. All of the doors had opened, and there were species coming in from other units on the floor. He could see Xyrillians, Takret, Tellarites, Tandarins, Calafans, Gorn, and a lot of others that he didn't recognize, both male and female – and some pregnant. There was no time to get acquainted.

They were passing the exercise area, and there were sounds. It would make sense to subdue the guards somehow.

"We'll split up!" he called out, "Take out the guards and get armed. Other half will follow where the women went. There – uh, Hayes, take half to follow the women. Malcolm, take out the guards."

"Aye, Captain," Doug said, even though he was no longer working for Starfleet and no longer called himself Hayes. A small quibble in the heat of it all, "Quick march!"

They disappeared down the corridor, following a light. Jonathan went with that group.

=/\= 

Lili and the other pregnant women rushed to the sound of the crying. There was a room with an opened door – all of the doors were opened – and an image of a rectangle with a lot of small circles in it.

The crying was loud, in all manner of octaves and rhythms.

They rushed in. The room was not guarded. There was just one Witannen woman, frantic, "You woke them all up from stasis!" she yelled. She was at her wit's end.

Kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick

Dayah blanched, "There must be over a hundred in there."

"I think we all have an idea of what to do," said one of the Vulcan women, "The logical act is to quiet them."

There were rows and rows of what could have charitably been described as bassinets but were really more like tiny versions of their own meager beds, but with rails. And most of them contained a wailing infant of one species or another. Lili didn't know most of the species, but that wasn't exactly her area of expertise. One child nearby had what looked like a spoon on his forehead.

Another was a lot like a human but had a horizontally ridged nose. Another had spots on her neck. She grabbed the first one she saw, which she figured was probably Xyrillian. She had never seen a Xyrillian infant before. It was so tiny, barely bigger than the palm of her hand. She could pick up two at a time, and did so, "Shh," she said, "Uh, Auntie Lili is here. Shh."