Chapter 46

Edgar arrived to the predetermined point about an hour before he said he would be there. It was his way of trying to catch people off guard. He was sure if they tried to set something up he would be able to look around and see them doing it long before he was supposed to show up. He had picked the busiest building, the biggest mall in the city during the weekend no less. This place was packed with people scurrying around for great deals and trying to do anything here would be impossible. The reason why he had chosen this exact location for their meeting was that there would be too much collateral around to risk anything. It's one thing to arrest someone in front of a small house in the burbs, it's another completely to attempt to take someone in a packed mall. All Edgar would have to do is fire a single shot into the air and mass panic would tear the place apart. There was no way this Carlson fellow would try anything here because he also still had his people, which was a good bargaining chip incase he didn't care about the little people.

     Edgar took his sweet time navigating through the gigantic shopping complex. There were over two hundred stores and shops, and he pretended to look into a few of them with interest, all the time looking out for points where people could be looking out for him. Finally when he was sure the area was clear enough for him to risk it, he started to walk towards to the coffee shop that he had instructed Carlson to meet him at. He told him that a table would be waiting for them, and that he was to arrive at exactly three in the afternoon. As Edgar was walking over, his new cell phone gave a little jingle and vibrated against his chest.

     He flipped it open, "Hello?"

     "It's just me." the old voice of Sir Norsberg crackled on the other end, "I wanted to speak with you before your little get together just in case this was our last chance."

     "I'm not sure they're willing to risk that with their own men still with us." Edgar said as he kept looking around. It was still clear.

     "I'm sure they wouldn't, but with all that's occurred in the last week or so, you'd forgive an old man for not taking any chances." Norsberg said as he coughed a few times away from the phone, "I wanted to wish you well and hope that things go our way."

     "I don't expect them to go anyway. This is really a negotiation to the real thing and a test to see how much I can trust them." Edgar paused for a moment, then kept walking, "I think they are aware of this as well. If they're likely to try something funny, it will be as the next meeting when everyone will be there."

     "Fair enough." Norsberg agreed, "So they'll use this meeting to build trust and rapport, and then yank it away when it's all on the line."

     "That's how I'd do it if I was in his shoes." Edgar commented as he spotted the coffee shop, "So don't worry that fragile little noodle of yours. I'll be fine and will contact you when it's all said and done."

     "I'm in town." Norsberg suddenly said, "Meeting with people and to make sure things go as expected."

     Edgar was taken back by this, "You didn't need to do that."

     "Don't worry about me, lad." Norsberg said, "I've got more than one skillet on the stove, but yours is the one that's keeping me up at night."

     "So I'm not the only one losing sleep over this?" Edgar sarcastically asked the old man.

     "Hardly not." Norsberg cussed sharply, "I doubt your counterpart has slept much since his men went missing. I bet he's as eager to see you as you are him. I'm just calling to let you know things are being done on this end just in case things go astray."

     "I appreciate that, sir." Edgar said as he stopped just short of the door, "I should let you go. I've arrived to the shop."

     "Very well." Norsberg said as he gave up with a deep sigh, "Godspeed my boy, and full details by the end of the day, understood?"