Chapter 35

The second neighborhood was more or less what you would expect from a television show. It was so cookie cutter normal it was the kind of thing that would creep out any city person. Rows of clean cut lawns, big residential houses and not a single piece of litter on the ground made this look more like a ghost town than anything else. The first neighborhood they visited to deliver their package was the exact opposite: people everyone, bums on the streets. There wasn't a single person on this street, giving Edgar the impression that the people who live here commute to their real lives when working during the day. If there was anyone home on streets like this, they were indoors and sheltered away from the world, literally. As they drove around, looking for a specific street, Edgar could tell that Devon was a little freaked out by how clean the place looked as well. It was too perfect to be true. They had been looking for the address Jerome had given Edgar after tracing her IP address, but with no luck so far. Eventually they had to break down and stop at a store and pretend to be new and ask for directions when buying something to drink. The people at the store were nice enough to help out and they were on their way. After a few wrong turns, they eventually found the street they were looking for and cruised down slowly looking for the right house. But when they found it, Devon drove right past and didn't slow down as instructed to by Edgar.

     "Seems like the place to me." Edgar said, "And we'll do another drive by to look for anyone keeping an eye her house."

     "Do you honestly believe they've got this place staked out?" Devon asked, somewhat doubtful they would use that kind of manpower for this old lady, "Do you have any idea what kind of manpower it would take to just stake out one place 24/7?"

     "As a matter of fact I do." Edgar said, not taking his eyes off the neighborhood, "I distinctly remember paying your crew a boatload of cash to do it a few years back."

     "After what happened at the Vigil, it's a very good possibility." Devon said as he thought about it, "The fact that they know we might be looking for her would warrant that kind of caution."

     "If this is the place," Edgar added, "At least there are not as many people around, which lowers the chance of interference or people calling for the police too quickly. Let's drive around one more time and then we'll hit the door and try to deliver the package."

     "No problem, mate." Devon responded as he pulled into another street to start another sweep.

     They looked around but couldn't find a thing that would give them the impression that someone was watching but Edgar knew better. Any car around here that was parked with a tinted window could be them, watching for anything out of the ordinary. As they drove around again, Edgar opened his cell and tried to call Jerome. There was no answer, and while for a moment that worried him but he passed it off as Jerome just being too busy to get to the phone and went back to work. As they approached the house, Edgar tapped his partner on the shoulder.

     "Park across the street," Edgar started, "If someone is watching we don't want to tip them off until you knock on the front door. Make them think we're here for the person across the street."

     "Alright," Devon acknowledged as he pulled up to the curb. They booked looked across the street at the house they were looking for, "Last chance, mate. Sure you want to go this far?"

     "You said that at the last place and I'm telling you again: the money's too good." Edgar replied as he started to prepare something for his partner, "Now, make sure you stick to the plan.

     "I know the plan." Devon said with a hint of frustration, "We went over it perfectly last time, so get off my bloody case."

     "Just wanted to be absolutely sure you were all right with our plan. You are after all... the bait." Edgar emphasized with a faint smile. He loved pushing other people out into the line of fire, especially if it was someone like Devon.

     "Just had to remind me of that, didn't you?" Devon sarcastically asked as he pulled into the street again, "I know what to do. Even if this doesn't work out perfectly, at the least we'll have Jessica's Mum again and they'll be a family reunion in a few hours time."

     There was a rumbling from the back compartment, "Jesus guys, we've been around a half a dozen times. Let's park before someone calls the cops just out of suspicion of your lame ass driving!"

     "Alright, alright," Devon said as he put the vehicle in park and turned the engine off. As instructed, he pulled over across the street from the house they wanted as opposed to stopping in front of it. There were several cars in the driveways and only a few on the street itself. He paused for a few moments and then looked over at Edgar.

     "See you in a few." Devon said, as he grabbed the clipboard off the dash and a small parcel before exiting the vehicle. As he stepped out of the truck, there was no way anyone was going to be able to recognize him. While Edgar ran around with a small scruff, Devon has a massive handlebar mustache that made him easy to spot in a crowd. But today the bounty hunter had a clean shaven face, a light brown pair of shorts and shirt on with a baseball cap. Even if the people he shot at a few days ago had his photos to keep an eye out for him, there was no way any of them were going to recognize him. It made him the obvious choice to be the package boy for this little adventure. The big man took a deep breathe and then crossed the street and started to walk towards the door of the house in question. He had seen pictures of Jessica's mom so he knew who to look out for. If someone else answered the door, he would apologize for knocking on the wrong door and go somewhere else. Devon honestly thought that if he had the right place, they would know very quickly one way or another.

     As he crossed the sidewalk and began to walk up to the door, there seemed to be no activity. Once at the door, he looked back at Edgar who was in the truck and watching with a pair of binoculars. Point of no return, Devon thought to himself as he took a deep breath and then knocked on the door. It took a few moments, but someone finally came to the door and opened it. Mrs. Johnson was standing there in a robe looking up at the big man as he gave her his best smile to greet her.

     "Hello there." she said rather surprised, "Can I help you?"

     "Yes you can, love. I have a package here for a Ms. Drake." Devon said, as he read the name off the clipboard he had. Drake was the alias that Mrs. Johnson had used to purchase the necklace from Jerome a few days back. Devon again gave a warm smile as he tried to act as professional as he possibly could.

     "Oh my!" Mrs. Johnson said in complete shock as she realized what was going on, "That was very fast."

     "Well, we are the best in the nation for a reason." Devon said as he resented her with the clipboard, "I just need you to sign for it right here."

     Mrs. Johnson took the clipboard from Devon, and looked down at it. On the piece of paper wasn't a form for her to sign but a blank piece of paper with a message written on it for her:

Mom:

This man was hired by me to find you.
Do as he says because he's here to take you home.

See you soon,

Jessica

     Mrs. Johnson looked at the message again. It was handwritten, and she could tell by the little things in the calligraphy that it was Jessica's handwriting. She could hardly believe it, but the evidence was there staring her in the face. She looked back up at the man, not sure what to say.

     "Just sign on the part with the X beside it." Devon said out loud, keeping in character as long as he could. Mrs. Johnson was very confused and didn't know what exactly the man was waiting for. Then she saw it and covered her mouth and backed away.

     "FREEZE!" a voice shouted from behind.

     "Put your hands on your head," another voice called out, "And drop to your fucking knees!"