•Only The Good Parts...

"Should we talk about this before dinner or after?" Logan questions when he walks out from our bedroom

"Should we talk about this before dinner or after?" Logan questions when he walks out from our bedroom. His formal attire is gone, and in its place is a pair of blue gym shorts. Nothing else.

"If that dinner is you, it's definitely going to be after because you can't be looking like a whole meal and go uneaten. If it's not, it's still going to be after because I'm so hungry."

Logan raises an eyebrow but I can see admiration in the way his brown eyes sparkle. "And you call me the perverted one."

I fix up the ultimate spaghetti carbonara with a creamy hollandaise-style sauce and crisp pancetta.

Logan had bought all the groceries on the list I had given him and as a reward, I let him into the kitchen while I cooked. I don't let him help-- as always-- because he always manages to get in my way. But at least he gets to watch a master chef at work.

Logan doesn't stop talking about how he hopes my handiwork tastes as good as it smells. I assure him that it can't possibly have this amazing, savory scent and manage to taste bleh. Can it?

After the food is dished out, we eat in the living room while we watch reruns of Judge Judy. The food tastes amazing and Logan tells me he'll do the dishes this entire week if I promise to make him some at least twice in the said week. I'm not a fool to pass up and offer like that.

After clearing up all the dishes and cooking utensils in the sink, Logan joins me on the balcony.

There is silence between us till he breaks it. "Who was Matteo?"

I breathe in deeply, preparing to give out as much information as I can. "As you now know, he was my ex-boyfriend. We met in college, had a relationship that lasted for a while after." I pause, inhaling a shaky breath that makes my body shiver.

"And how does he relate to the dreams?"

With Logan's words, I close my eyes. My mind is completely blank as I try to focus on what I see whenever I have the dreams. There's a not-quite-dark colour, as there always is. But then again after Matteo died, the eigengrau colour visible when my eyes fall shut, has somehow managed to turn an even darker shade. If that's possible.

"When I dream, he's always in it. I see his face, his smile. It always starts out that way, you know, I see only the good parts," I say, voice barely audible. Logan takes both my hands and cradles them in his. "We're in college or we're on a date or we're at my place. It's after a while that... that the darkness comes. It's the night I last saw him and we're laying in the grass and I'm admiring his laugh. But he gets up and he starts leaving without me and I call him. It's when... it's what I see when he- when he turns around that I get scared the most."

The image that starts to form behind my eyelids-- of the monster that rules over my dreams-- overwhelms me, and I immediately open my eyes. My vision blurred with a film of tears that I'm trying to hold back.