Chapter 9 - What's Wrong With Donnie?

Donnie dropped the screwdriver he was holding when a dark shape appeared next to him. With a long, tired sigh, he pushed himself out of under the stealth bike and turned to glare at the Demon. Blood-red eyes locked on Donnie, he shot him the unnerving smirk that the genius was unconsciously familiarizing himself with. "Hello, Donatello."

"Donnie." Was the immediate correction as the genius moved to grab his dropped screwdriver. 

Donnie had been doing his best to ignore the post-trauma hallucination that seemed to enjoy bugging him, but the Demon seemed to be doing his best to irritate him any chance he got.

Donnie realized that the screwdriver had rolled far under the vehicle, and he moved underneath, trying to gain a firm hold on it.

Watching as he struggled, the Demon shook his head in disapproval. "I've never understood nicknames. Why change the name you were given?"

"It's not changed, it's shortened, " Donnie replied instinctively, grasping the screwdriver. The helpful, intelligent side of him was unable to ignore the question. "A nickname is a substitute for the proper name of a familiar person. It's mainly used to express affection or is a form of endearment and amusement."

As Donnie pulled himself out, he was surprised when the screwdriver suddenly transformed into a snake and hissed at him. 

"Holy Chalupa!" He tossed it and quickly jumped to his feet. The snake hit the ground a few feet away and continued it's threatening hiss, thrashing its tail in emphasis.

Donnie stared at it in uncomprehending shock, entirely missing the knowing grin on the Demon's face. 

"Donnie?"

The genius turned at the sound of Leo's voice and saw his visibly concerned older brother entered his lab. Donnie glanced back over at the snake, wondering if this was another illusion. Another random hallucination only he could see. He was contemplating asking when Leo placed his hand on his shoulder.

Flinching slightly, Donnie quickly pulled out of Leo's grasp and turned to face his brother.

"Donnie? Are you okay?" Leo asked, trying not to get offended as Donnie took a extra step back to increase the distance between them. He noted how tense his brother currently was, suspicious about his glimpse of how Donnie had reacted upon picking up the screwdriver.

"Yep. Fine." Donnie gave him a sheepish smile, trying to pretend he was unconcerned about the hissing reptile behind his back.

Leo simply frowned as he glanced at the perfectly normal screwdriver on the floor, then back to Donnie. After a few moments of silence, he asked. "And you shrieked and threw your tool... Why?"

"I-I didn't shriek-" Donnie's seemed to catch himself and hesitated, sparing a glance over his shoulder to see that the screwdriver was suddenly back to its normal state. "Er- I mean. I just - uh, jabbed myself and then... Dropped it?"

"You dropped it." Leo repeated skeptically as his younger brother avoided eye contact and walked over the screwdriver.

"Yep."

Leo watched as Donnie lifted up the tool, holding it as though he expected it to attack.  After a few minutes of inspection, Donnie turned back, giving his watching brother another innocent smile before carrying it back over to the toolbox and dropping it in.

After quickly shutting it, he placed the toolbox within his desk and held up the stealth bikes blueprints, hoping Leo would take the hint and leave.