Chapter 4: A Cruel Reality (Arc 1)

Arc 1

How to Tame a Bully

The next day, Arthur drove me to school in his car. It took us 15 minutes from home. The distance was not far but not close either.

"Alright son, make sure you call me when school ends. You can borrow the school's phone, I already informed your homeroom teacher about that. Don't push yourself too hard, okay? If anything happens don't hesitate to call me, okay?"

"Yes, dad. I promise I will be careful."

We were at the front gate of the school. Many students were entering the gate. I tightened my backpack as I felt a nostalgic feeling. How many years had it been since the last time I carried a school backpack on my back?

"Well, I'm going now dad."

I hugged him tightly as I felt his warmth. He hugged me back while patting my back.

"Stay safe." He mumbled.

We kissed each other on the cheeks before I waved at him and ran towards the gate.

My second high school life had finally begun.

***

I stood in front of my classroom door. It was good that I had found out which class I was in from my notebook. The original owner's handwriting was so bad that it took me some time to read it.

The owner of this body may have been here for a while, but this would be my first time in this class. I was not someone who cared enough about the first impression, but it was better to put in some effort. Well, at least that was what he emphasized.

"Listen, Kevin! If you want to start a new life, what you need to do first is smile." He talked to me as he put both index fingers on the corners of his mouth and curled it up. "Don't care about whether you like the person or not. What is important about social interaction is the basics, and first impressions are a must."

"...You look like an idiot with that smile you know."

"Hey, I'm being serious here!"

I chuckled remembering the day he helped me to apply to my first part-time job. He sure had a lot of time in his hand.

"Okay, here we go."

I gently opened the door.

The chatter inside the classroom suddenly died down as everyone's gaze was directed at me.

Whew, only a few seconds have passed, and I've already become the center of attention. Does being absent for a few days make you this famous?

I walked in when suddenly I realized something. I didn't know where my seat was. Oh well, there was no harm in asking.

I approached the short fox boy who was sitting nearby. He was focused on reading his book when I tapped his shoulder.

"Hello, do you know where my seat is?" I asked him with a friendly tone. "I've been hospitalized for days and my memories are slightly blurry now. Do you mind filling in?"

"Huh? What? Umm... I mean... sure, I guess?" He looked surprised that I talked to him. His ears twitched uneasily as he pointed at the back. "Your seat is at the back corner of the classroom beside the window."

Oh cool. I got a seat beside the window, just like every main character in anime.

"Thanks, buddy. Nice tail you got there." I walked to my seat as I pointed gun hand signs with both hands and winked, leaving him with a dumbfounded look.