𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻

The night did not find me well and I was unable to get any proper sleep. I kept tossing and turning from thinking about the witches and the uncomfortableness of this rather too small bed for my 6'1'' frame.

Since my mind was already wide awake, I decided not to waste anymore time, and briskly put on my brown boots and left the compact room, flying down the stairs, ignoring the shoppers in the store downstairs.

I almost made it to the doorway, when I ran into a young woman with wavy, auburn hair, a plain, peasant dress, and a basket full of various baked breads.

"I'm so sorry Ma'am. I should watch where I'm going," I rapidly apologized as I steadied her balance by grabbing her shoulders.

Curiously examining my facial features, she replied, "Don't worry about it. Say, I've never seen you around here before. Are you new in town?"

From the way she batted her long, thick eyelashes and swayed her body, I could tell she was trying to flirt with me. Little did she know I was engaged and in a terrible hurry.

"Yes, I am new around here, but I'm actually leaving right now. So, if you would please excuse me..." I attempted to squeeze past her.

"Wait!" She hastily snatched my arm. "Please don't go...why won't you stay?"

Curse me and my handsome looks! How am I going to escape her?

"Umm...my Mother...she's sick and...I must leave at once to send her a letter to tell her I'm on my way home," I lied the best way I could. The truth was, I just remembered that I needed to mail my letter to Anastasia to let her know that everything was alright, but I didn't want this woman to know I was already engaged because I could tell by her neediness that she was one of the desperate types.

"Oh, I see. Well I guess then you should get going. But it wouldn't kill you just to stay a little longer would it?"

This woman just won't give up will she.

"No, I'm sorry but this is an emergency," I hurriedly responded, pushing myself out the door and then turned around abruptly forgetting I had something to ask her.

"Do you by any chance know of any messenger that I can pay to deliver a letter?"

The flirtatious woman all of a sudden transformed into more of a serious and respective manner.

"There once was a younger gentleman, such as yourself, that used to reside across the road from here. Occasionally for a fee, he would deliver information to the folks out of town. Those of course that were wealthy enough to afford his hefty price. Unfortunately, he was seen by someone leaving on horseback, but hasn't returned here in over six months. Some say he disappeared to start a new life or went to feed his greed by trading his elaborate, gold jewelry to any fool willing to fall for his tricks. Now his residence just sits there vacant, so I guess you're out of luck."

I peered over at the desolate structure then back into her hazel eyes.

"Oh...well thank you anyway. Now if you'll excuse me, I must be going," I hustled speedily away from her this time so she couldn't grab me again.

"Wait sir! There's one more thing," she hollered at my back.

What more could she possibly have to say? Can't she take a hint that I'M NOT INTERESTED!

Feeling my blood begin to boil, I was extremely tempted to storm off pretending I didn't hear her, but my conscious said otherwise, so I reluctantly took a deep breath and turned around.

"What ma'am?"

"I just wanted to let you know that when you leave here, there will be a fork in the road. Whatever you do, do not go right. Although it may be the shorter route, it is also much riskier."

"Uh...thanks...I guess," I dubiously replied, not sure if I should be worried or not.

"Good luck," she said with a forlorn look in her eyes.

From the fretful way her appearance shifted, I suddenly reconsidered my plan of action. Maybe I should take her advice. Besides, she probably knows the whereabouts of this land better than I do.

With that thought stored in the back of my mind, I thankfully found Blaze waiting for me right where I left him last night.

"Hello boy! Miss me!"

He muffled a slight neigh while I made sure all my bags were strapped to him soundly and we headed back onto the grainy path leaving the town and its peculiar inhabitants behind.