Chapter Thirteen - Veiled World

Many people, both soldiers and possibly civilian workers, walked around the base with the occasional vehicles passing by. They all seemed busy at work. Everything looked unlike anything I had ever seen. Their clothing was different from any uniforms I had seen, as well as their vehicles and weapons the guards were equipped with. "What is this place?" I asked.

"Welcome to Triton Harbor," said Commander Abrams.

I looked at the city beyond the base walls. "Is that supposed to be San Francisco?"

Commander Abrams chuckled. "Dear no, that's Haven. You better learn about this world and fast if you don't want to starve to death. If people find out you are an outsider, let alone someone from another world, they won't have a problem with leaving you on the side of the road."

"That's why he has you, right? For protection," Iris said, giving the commander a serious look.

Iris and I followed Commander Abrams up the steps and into a tall building at the center of the base. The outside of the building seemed to be constructed of cement with very few windows. As soon as we stepped through the doors we had to get through security. There were guards checking ID's, as well as hand and eye scanners. Commander Abrams got through without problems and he told the guards that it was alright to let us through.

"People here don't sound very friendly. Why would they do that?" I asked after we were allowed to pass.

"There are not many reasons why you'd build a city underground," Commander Abrams said. "The reason you didn't see San Francisco is because it is completely submerged underwater, along with every other city in the world.

My eyes widened in shock. "How could that be?" It would take a large natural disaster to cause such a catastrophe."

Inside, the building looked just as big as on the outside. From top to bottom, the center was largely empty with only a flight of stairs winding all the way to the top. There were walkways at every level connecting the staircase to the side corridors. We headed for the stairs and began our climb.

"And it did happen, an extinction level event. The polar ice caps melted. You wouldn't even recognize Antarctica anymore. Resources are hard to come by, so now you see why they would not welcome you."

Curiosity kept getting the best of me. If I have the opportunity to travel to other worlds, then I might as we learn whatever I can, I thought. "How did it happen?"

After walking up for several levels, we exited the staircase and headed to one of the corridors. I could see that both of them were reluctant to answer my question and I wondered why. "There's no use in worrying about it. It's not like you'll be staying here for long anyways," Commander Abrams finally answered.

"This does matter," I insisted. "Don't you see the opportunity we are all presented with? We can learn from other worlds, from their mistakes, and make sure we avoid them. This is an opportunity that cannot be wasted."

Iris stopped and looked at me with anger in her eyes. "That's enough, Adam. You shouldn't pry on matters you have no business being part of. Just stay quiet and do as you're told."

What was her problem? She hadn't spoken a word since we left the submarine, and when she finally did it was to shut me up. I thought we were getting along better, but then it all changed, and it happened after we arrived. I knew there was definitely something wrong. I didn't know if it was with me, with her, or someone else, but I couldn't take this.

"Come on, darling, he's just curious. There's nothing wrong with that. Cut him some slack," Commander Abrams said. We walked through several more corridors and past many more doors until we finally stopped in front of the Admiral's office. "We're here. Word of advice, follow her advice. The Admiral doesn't like to be questioned."