Chapter Eight - Unexpected Events

I could hear the creature rushing towards us like a train at high speeds. Then it stopped, the trembling of the earth dissipating. I turned to see what had changed. An arrow was sticking out from the creature's side. Ivan held his bow, aiming at the creature. Another one flew across the air, embedding itself in it. The creature seemed to have very thick skin because the arrows weren't penetrating deep enough.

"Take cover! I'll keep it distracted," he yelled as he let go of another arrow.

I helped Elena stand and we ran behind a small mound. "What is that thing? I've never seen anything like it," I asked as we watched from our cover.

"That is a gahora. It's strong and can tear anything apart with its claws and fangs. Grandpa says it is one of many strange creatures he has seen. Apparently a world where there were no humans means different creatures were able to exist."

"Strange or not, we have to do something." I pulled out my knife and took a step forward.

"What do you think you're doing?" she asked as she grabbed my hand.

"I'm going to help him."

"Do you even know how to use that thing?" she asked, pointing to the knife in my hand.

I grabbed the tip of the knife and threw it behind Elena, hitting a snake that was about to attack her. Grabbing her knife, I cut the snakes head off. "I've gone hunting before. I think I can manage."

"Yeah and you've hunted what exactly?"

"Deer. How different can it be?" I gave her a slick smile. I needed people to stop worrying about me.

"Not at all, there's no difference whatsoever," she said with sarcasm. "You don't understand how dangerous a gahora is."

"I think I do, but it doesn't mean we should just watch. That's your brother out there. Don't you think we need to do something?"

She looked at me for a moment then at her brother as he ran behind tree after tree, trying to keep the creature distracted while not becoming food himself. "You see the gahora's eyes? They're in front because it's a predator and it needs to keep locked on to its prey.

"So its peripheral vision is low," I said, beginning to understand what she was saying.

"Exactly. Gahora might be fierce, but they're not the brightest creatures in the animal kingdom. While Ivan keeps it distracted, you can sneak up behind it and aim for its legs. It's heavy and with its legs injured it won't be able to chase us."

Carefully, I crouched and walked slowly around several trees and ferns as I looked to get closer to the gahora without being seen. I saw Ivan on the opposite side, waving frantically at me to stay away, but I couldn't do that. I paused for a moment as I stepped on a branch. The gahora's head snapped up, clearly picking up the noise of the branch breaking.

"Hey, I'm over here!" Ivan said as he shot another arrow at it.

Once the gahora's attention went back to Ivan, I started to move again. This should be close enough, I though as I put my back against a tree. I could feel my heart beating faster, Alright Adam, you can do this. I glanced around the tree and tightened my grip on the knife. There was no more time to waste. I ran towards the gahora and as I approached I took a swing, catching part of his left foot. There was blood running down from it, but was it enough?

Everything began spinning and I found myself on the floor. My entire body ached. It felt like I had been run over. Gibberish was all I could hear as I grabbed my head in pain. Without warning, the gahora had hit me and it had launched me quite the distance because when I stood up I could see it far away. And it was looking straight back.