The Flames

'I had no escape. No choice. All I had was a chance and that was going to disappear as soon as I spoke. I never knew I was going to die and I still hoped I wouldn't. But then again when you can create fire, not many people will trust you.'

These were the thoughts that ran through Evelyn's head as she paced the room she was in. Her fiery red hair swished around her lower back as she moved. Her emerald green dress clung to her every movement, as she played with her necklace. The stone cold walls of the castle didn't improve her emotions as she waited. Her green eyes matched her dress as she cautiously looked towards the door.

Without warning a loud knocking sound came from the other side of it.

"Evelyn?" A female voice asked.

"Just a second Kathleen." She said back.

"Hurry up. Its your birthday and everyone has turned up to see you." Kathleen said through the door.

Evelyn let out a heavy sign, as she eyed her necklace, the red gem within the pendant glowed furiously. A party was the last thing she wanted since she didn't yet know what she might do. She released the pendant quickly and let her hands fall to her sides as she moved to the thick oak door. She pulled it back with all her force, to see Kathleen still standing there.

She was the complete opposite to Evelyn as she had long jet black hair that was shoulder length. She also wore a red dress that showed off her more tanned skin to Evelyn. Her hazel eyes glowed eagerly at her as they both stood facing the other. By looking at the two you would never think they were actually sisters, but they were. Regardless of their different appearances.

"You look beautiful." Kathleen said in awe.

"Not as much as you." Evelyn replied.

Kathleen smiled almost like she had expected her to say that back, but quickly changed the subject as she spoke again.

"You ready?" She smiled.

"I guess." Evelyn replied nervously.

It was a long walk down to the main entrance as the stairs lead on out to a small balcony inside. Kathleen loved to use it to make an entrance, but Evelyn always shied away from that. The attention was never for her, but if any of them knew. Well things would definitely change.

"How does it feel to be eighteen." Kathleen squealed with delight as they nearer the main balcony to the entrance hall below.

"Different." Evelyn murmured as she slowed down.

"This is it." Kathleen said happily.

Evelyn rolled her eyes at her sisters amusement for a party. But she cared more about controlling herself, especially in front of her father. As the pair linked arms nearer to the stair case, the fear began to rise through Evelyn but at the same time she could feel herself slowly begin to burn up.

"Oh no." She whispered to herself.

"You ok?" Kathleen quickly asked but turned her attention back to the stair case in front.

Evelyn began to breathe more and more quickly as she headed towards the edge of the stair case. She was becoming scared and angry at the same time, anything could happen that she didn't want to.

Suddenly the cheers and shouting brought her out of her trance as she heard the crowd below shout up to her.

"Happy birthday Eveyln!" They cheered in unison.

She felt the fears slowly begin to drift away as she locked eyes on the crowd of people and the fully decorated room. Balloons, banners and food filled every corner of the hall, but the people took up most of the space. A small smile broke out across her face as she stared at every little detail. Her eyes finally caught the sight of her father who stood with a glass raised up to Eveyln. A smile spread widely across his face as he looked up at both his daughters on the balcony. Evelyn couldn't help but smile back at him.