chapter one

Chapter 1

“Well I have to say Miss Edwards, everything looks very impressive. Lincoln High will be thrilled to have you join our school.” I smiled before shaking my new principal’s hand. “Well I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear that summer vacation starts next week so there’s no need for you to start for another few months which means you’ll have plenty of time to get used to living over here before you have to worry about school.”

I faked a laugh and stood up, ready to go leave, when I heard her call my name again.

“Would you mind taking this? It’s just a letter that needs to get to some guy in your year, but he hasn’t been in this week. I’ve been told that you live by him so would you mind just dropping it off round his house? Number 18552, same road as you. If no one’s in you can just leave it in their mail box.”

Feeling obliged, I took the piece of paper before exiting the room, closing the door behind me. I sighed and looked down at the letter. It was addressed to ‘Mr. Ryland Lynch’, whom I assumed was one of new neighbours. I put the sheet of paper in my bag and started walking out through the school. My thoughts were cast back to my life in England. I had a pretty easy going life, no more nor less problems than everyone else, I was happy with my life. Then one day, I was told my mother had decided to move to America to be able to live with her boyfriend. It was either I moved with them, or I moved in with my father and older sister. There was no question about it. I had to move to America. Snapping out of my trace, I carried on walking through the school and was left with no other option then the walk home. I guess I had to get used to this, considering both my mum and Andy would be away a lot on business trips to other parts of the countries. I really needed to get myself a car.

Already I began to miss home, I was finding it hard adapting to life here- people’s strange sounding accents, cars driving on the other side of the road, not being able to see my best friends whenever I wanted. It was only small things that I normally didn’t class as a big deal, but it made me realise how different things were going to be here.

*  *

I awoke the next day to the sunlight peaking in through my light pink curtains. Sighing, I got up and soon remembered that I was not in my lovely hometown where I had spent all of my life, and that I was actually in the other side of the world.

After I had had a shower, I changed into a white netted shirt and a pair of shorts. I heard my phone vibrating in my bag which I was yet to unpack since yesterday. I was greeted by a text message from my mum.

Me and Andy had to rush away early this morning and it looks like we won’t be back for at least a few days, major issues with our suppliers for the business. Sorry, hun. Have a good day, why don’t you go meet some neighbours or something. xx’ – Mum, 09:47.

Why don’t I go meet the neighbours?! I tutted to no one but myself before remembering that I did actually had to go and deliver the letter from my new school to my new neighbour.

I slipped on a pair of shoes and left my house, heading three doors up the street to number 18552. I suddenly felt a pang on nerves hit me as I stood face to face with the front door. I was never too good at meeting new people. I wasn’t too sure how to act, or what to say. But this was it. It was a new beginning, a chance to meet new people. American people. Now that was pretty cool.

I knocked on the door and just stood there fiddling nervously with the piece of paper in my hand. No more than five seconds later, the door flung open and in front of me stood a young male. The first thing I noticed was that this boy was ridiculously tall- with myself standing at 5”7, I was surprised to see a black-Hollister-shirt-clad torso in front of me. I looked up and I immediately felt as though a load of adrenaline had just been released all throughout my body, and also slightly like I wanted to throw up. It was a weird feeling that I had never experienced before. Straight away I guessed that he was a few years older than me, assuming he was around 19, give or take. His hair was a few shades darker than mine, and shaped his defined face perfectly.

I noticed him giving me a slight smile and I mentally slapped myself, realising thoughts such as “who is this girl and why has she turned up on my doorstep... and why is she not talking?” were probably running through his head.

“Hi, um I’m sorry to bother you but um, I’m new around here and um, I’m just here to drop off this.” I said, handing the letter from the school to him. He quickly scanned through the letter before responding.

 “Oh yeah that must be for my brother, thank you....”

“Charlotte... um, Charley.”

“Well it’s very nice to meet you Charley, I’m Rocky.” He replied, sticking out his hand.  I hesitated before reaching out and shaking it.

“Likewise.” I smiled.

“Hey, is that a British accent I hear?”

“It is indeed.”

I noticed a smile appear on his face. “So what are you doing around here then?”

“I just moved here the other day actually, mum’s boyfriend’s American, got dragged to move out here.”

“Well I’m sure you’ll love it here, Charley. Do you want to come in for a drink?”

“Um, I actually better get back. I really ought to finish unpacking.” I flat out lied, knowing full well that everything had been unpacked days ago, and that I have absolutely nothing else to do.

“Do you need any help? Me and my family would be more than happy to help you.”

Shit. That caught me off guard. What was I supposed to say?

“I um... we’ll... we’ll be okay. I mean there’s not that much left to do. Thanks for the offer though.”

“No problem, I’m sure I’ll see you around soon? I hope so, anyway. ” He replied and for about the millionth time in the past 5 minutes, I once again mentally slapped myself. Why couldn’t I just of said, ‘Yes, I’d love come in and get to know you, I mean, it’s not like I know anyone else and my own family have decided to leave me within a week of living here.’

“Yeah, that’d be nice.” I smiled before walking away. I got to the end of the driveway before I heard the front door softly click shut. I couldn’t help a smile from appearing onto my face.

Maybe living here wasn’t going to be so bad after all.