12:03

Please Note: This story is told like the characters are sitting around a room reminiscing. You'll understand why later 😊 Please remember to comment and vote!

======================================================

Zane's Point of View:

I was sitting in the truck, drumming my fingers to the beat of our latest song. It had been a long few days and I was ready to finally get to my baby sister. I mean, she wasn't really a baby. She was almost eighteen, but still she was mine.

Piper had always been my world. I didn't know you could be missing something that didn't even exist until she was born. I was older when she was born. She was the result of my father's second marriage. I shook my head at the thought. Her mother was very difficult. She often used drugs and left Piper alone at all hours of the night. Sadly, despite all of my reports, I had never been able to get custody of her. She was my half-sister and even though I loved her more than anyone else ever could (besides our dad), my identity in her life wasn't very valued by the court.

When our father and Piper's mother were divorced, dad got custody of Piper. I was still able to see her when I was in town. Five years ago, my father was killed by a drunk driver. It was a really horrible circumstance followed by even worse circumstances. Even though I was over eighteen, my lifestyle (I was in a Christian rockband and traveled a good deal) was not very appreciated. Her mother received custody. I was allowed to see Piper for the first couple of days after dad's death. My band was very supportive and we canceled our shows for a few weeks. Her mother was strangely kind. It was really puzzling. It was puzzling until she realized dad had left everything to me and Piper. As soon as she realized dad's money, companies, and homes were left to us, she refused to let me see Piper. I tried to file petitions to see Piper, but the court really didn't like the tattoo/pierced guy who was trying to petition. I even offered her mom money, but I think at that point she was just too happy causing Piper and I pain.

Piper was a smart girl and she quickly learned how to communicate with me via email while she was at school. She used a friend's address, so I could send her things. I was able to send her a phone. We were able to chat via text and calls, and then video chat. We would talk Monday-Friday. She would leave her phone in her locker or at a friend's house. Piper graduated 6 months early and took a babysitting job. She now left her phone there.

At 12:03 AM Piper would be eighteen. It was 11:45 and I was pulling through the little town she lived in now. We had left our home three days ago. We had taken our time driving and had stayed In a hotel about two hours away. I didn't want to risk any chance of her mother finding out our plan and causing Piper distress.

"I am sorry man, I fell asleep." My bandmate, Brian groaned as he sat up in the seat. He was supposed to be on keep-Zane-awake-duty. He failed miserably. My other bandmates, Onyx, Tucker, and Leland were asleep in the backseat.

I laughed. "It is okay. I think I am running on adrenalin,"

"Or seven monsters." He teased, shaking a few cans sitting on the floor.

"That too." I laughed.

"How much longer?" he asked, looking at the clock.

"We will be there a bit before 12, but Laura is supposed to be working at the bar." I said. That was the last I had heard. I knew Piper didn't have her phone since she didn't work today. The family she sat for said they would mail it to her which I thought was really kind.

"I will be glad to see her in person. She seems sweet." Brain said with a small smile. He and the other boys had spoken to Piper about as much as I have. She has already been adopted by all of them, even if she doesn't know it. The band and I had been together for years, but dad didn't like the idea of Piper being in the spotlight of the band, or around all of the loud music, so Piper had never met the boys.