Chapter Fourteen

"Looks like they've backed off, you can come down now Hijack." Knightmare glanced towards the sky looking for their guardian angel. "Where are you?" There was static on the other end of the line and he tilted his head as if that would clear it up.

Finally his voice came through, long pauses between each word that had nothing to do with the static. "Can you take it...from here?"

"I guess. What's up?" Cass waved her hand for his attention and raised an eyebrow. He shrugged back in response.

"Hospital." Hijack muttered, ending the call immediately after. He pushed himself up from where he'd been crouched against a tree. The wound in his side was small but any size was a problem. For one, he was miles from the city and getting back there on his jet boots was going to be a challenge. On another note, Hannah would definitely notice this.

He started pulling up excuse after excuse, trying to find something that would satisfy her. They definitely wouldn't be engaging in any physical fun for a while. Hijack looked skywards and clicked his heels against the ground. His heart stayed on the ground and slingshot back up into his throat when he steadied up above. Everything spun but he forced his eyes to stay open till it stopped. "Okay....okay just go slow." He whispered to himself.

Hijack pulled his sleeve back from his wrist to expose a small electronic compass. With his hand still pressed firmly to his side he turned towards home and Merrifield Memorial Hospital.

It wasn't until he landed in one of the empty rooms in the geriatric wing that he started to panic. Hiajck couldn't just stroll into a hospital and get medical help without handcuffs coming into play. Jake Erwin couldn't walk into any hospital with a gunshot wound and not expect nurse Harris to handcuff him to a bed. He quickly shook off thoughts of beds and handcuffs.

He pulled open a cabinet to the side and started rifling through looking for anything he could use. Gauze, antibiotics...a needle. Hijack shuddered. The bullet would have to come out too. He ripped open the side of his suit with a little sigh. "How am I going to sew that good as new?" The door creaked open and he jumped back, tripping over a chair and crashing into the bed.

"Is someone in here? Seriously, you can't use empty rooms for sex. I don't care what you've seen on tv." Hiajck knew the voice and felt the blood drain from his face. The light flicked on and her copper ponytail resting on her banana yellow scrubs came into view. Her back was to him and he jumped at the opportunity to cover her mouth from behind.

"Don't scream." His voice came out a few octaves deeper thanks to a well placed voice modulator in his mask. "If you make any sort of noise this whole place goes sky high." It killed him to feel the way her breath came in shallow pants against his hand. She'd half raised her hands to pull his hand away before her spoke. Now they hung in the air like a puppet held in place by invisible strings. "I'm going to let you go now. Remember, don't scream."

Hijack pulled away with his finger hovering over his wrist watch. Hannah's soft green eyes seemed to take up half of her face as she took him in. "Hijack."

"Oh, so you've heard of me? Good things I hope?" He grinned and held back a laugh when her fear faded back enough for an eye roll. "Guess not."

"Why are you here?" She looked over the room, eyes lingering on the open cabinet and the few spots of blood across the floor.

"I was looking for some help and lucky me I found a nurse. I've kinda got a thing for nurses." Hijack tilted his body so his bloodied side was in her direct line of view. "Think you could help me out?" He didn't miss the  hesitation and the way her eyes flashed to the door. "Actually, I think you will help or, you know, boom." He shook his wrist at her.

"Sit." Hannah locked the door quickly and pulled out a full kit from the cabinet. "What happened?" Hijack started to pull out a coverup story and stopped. Why? It wouldn't shock her to learn Hijack had been in a fight.

"I was helping the South City Ravens transfer some questionable information and got caught up in a firefight." Hijack grabbed her wrist before she could move in to touch his side. "How bad is this going to hurt?"

"Without anesthesia, even a local anesthetic, probably a lot." Hannah could feel the shake in his hand and slowly covered it with hers. "I'll go fast, just breathe."

Hijack wished he could have gotten lost in the way her hands moved, her little fingers dipping in and around like a pianist. The way her ponytail drifted forward over her shoulder despite how often she tried to shake it back. "Dammit that hurts!" The pain kept him fully centered in reality. "You're doing that on purpose."

Hannah laughed, covering her mouth with the back of her forearm. "It never occurred to me that Hijack would be such a big baby."

"There is a bullet in my side. How about we give you one and see how you do." She stiffened and pulled her hands back. "I didn't mean...I'm not going to hurt you." He reached a hand out towards her cheek and slammed the hand back down when she pulled back further.

"No, you're just going to blow up my hospital if I don't do as you say." Hannah snatched up the suture kit and turned back to her work. "So, the South City Ravens Huh? Work with Cassandra Voss at all? I hear she's a real looker."

"No! I didn't even look at her, she's not even that good looking I swear." Hijack watched the corner of her mouth twitch up in a smirk.

"I think you have a crush on her." She placed a gentle hand on his side as she worked, trying to go fast without causing any more pain than she had to.

"I prefer my ladies a bit more on the sweet side." He watched her closely. The tremor in her hands was long gone and her eyes had hardened with focus. "You seem very calm about all this, working on a cape and all."

"I've seen worse than you." Hannah walked back to the cabinet to pull out a roll of bandages. "Besides, you don't have a cape."

"I'm sure your husband is thrilled to know you work in such dangerous criminals." Hijack was glad she couldn't see how wide he smiled when she blushed.

"B-boyfriend, and I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself." Her hand moved to tug up the rest of his suit and he jumped back. "Come back here."

"No! I'm...I'm naked under here." He crossed his arms over his torso and watched her dumbfound expression change to laughter. "You have a nice laugh." The laughter died in an instant and she moved to her feet.

"If you're not going to let me wrap it then do it yourself." She threw the bandages at him. "You capes are horrible listeners."

"You say that like you've worked with capes before." He took a step towards her, pushing the bandages into his back pocket. "Let me guess, Silver Shield?" Hannah started peeling off her gloves to hide the shake that had returned. "You know who she is, don't you."

"No." She grabbed for the door and he pulled her to him. "You should go, you'll need to come back in about a week to get the stitches out."

"Not likely." He moved her to sit in one of the chairs nearby and pulled a zip tie from his pocket. "You just wait right here, and I'll be on my way." Hijack secured her to the chair and hurried back to the window. Once he had his feet on the sill he looked back to her. "I didn't catch your name."

"Hannah." She tugged at The zip tie, trying to scoot her whole self and the chair towards the door. "Wait!" She reaches out her free hand to him. "You have to disarm the bomb."

"I would never bomb a hospital." Hijack shrugged. "Too many pretty nurses at risk." He pointed at her flushed cheeks. "I think you might have a crush on me miss Hannah. You stay safe now." He fell back out the window and tapped his heels against the outer wall, shooting off and away.