Chapter 7

I stared at my phone.

A friend request from Will. What the hell am I supposed to do with this?

I had some time before my mom came home. I quickly looked up how to flirt on Google. I needed to do more research.

Several youtube videos and teen vogue articles later, I finally pulled myself from the internet rabbit hole I found myself in. I looked at the clock, that read 7:30. My mom would be home soon and I've done nothing to prepare for that.

I quickly ran into the kitchen and started to clean the dishes. My mind was racing. I found myself in a unique situation. I just wanted one boy to notice me and somehow I ended up with two and both were not the original boy that I originally wanted to notice me. I accepted Will's request per the advice from teen vogue. However I could barely talk to him in class, I needed to work on that.

Then there was Cody, why start talking to me again when we haven't spoken in years? On the plus side it's easier to talk to him, we have a repour, a history, an old friendship. But why now? I was so hung up on the why. I would need to do more digging. The last thing I wanted was to be fetishized or worse, a bet. I watch too many rom-coms.

I heard the jingling of my mother's keys and her muttering swears as she searched for the right key. I quickly dried my hands and hurried to open the door for her.

She always came in like a whirlwind. She kissed my cheek as she hurried up to her room to put all her many bags down. Being a lead teacher at the daycare meant bringing a lot of your own supplies, hence all the bags. My mother barked orders to me from upstairs. "Heat up the leftovers! Is your homework done? Did you take a shower yet? Make sure the dishes are dry before you put them away". I quickly did a smell check before taking out the leftovers. I heated up what I could before taking the world's quickest shower.

Twenty minutes later the two of us ate dinner together. We talked about school and work before she cleared the table. I did the dishes before ending the night on the couch catching up on Pretty Little Liars.

*******

I'll save you the bullshit of starting my day. I woke up, got on the bus, and now I'm at school. It's Wednesday and I have a home game today. I hated home games. The popular bitches on the team loved to invite every Tom, Dick, and Harry to the games just so they could watch us lose.

Did I mention that we are the worst team in the league? No? Well, we are.

So why invite all the popular attractive guys to our shitty games? Because popular girls are thirsty and just want some dude to tell them they look good in our short uniforms. They sent out a Facebook message late last night to wear our uniforms to school "to promote" the game. For a group of girls that were obsessed with unity, you would think they would act like it on and off the field. But, I'll save the inner clicks and racism of the girls' field hockey team for another chapter.

Jade and I made our way upstairs to our wing of the school. I lugged my smelly field hockey bag, my stick, and bookbag up the stairs behind her. Jade would never say it but her face said, "Why don't you play tennis like me?". Jade was the kind of chick that never understood some else's choices.

Once we reached the top of the stairs we went our separate ways to our lockers. I made my way through the jungle we call a hallway to my locker. I always had the first two numbers spun, so I could just click to the last number and open my locker. Once my locker was open I took off my gym bag and tried to jam it in my locker, like a lady. Since we had a game today my bag was a little on the heavy side so I used my stick to really jam it in there.

"Need a hand?"

I jumped and quickly turned my head. There was Will, looking good in a tight sweater that showed off his muscles. He was smiling at me. I smiled back as I quickly searched my brain for words.