Chapter I. The Return and The Question

'Kate, it has been a long time.' said Ciel with a grin as he put down his cup of tea and stood up from his chair to walk up to me.

He gave me a slight hug and a kiss on the cheek. 'Is there something you want to eat?' he asked.

'No, I am fine, thank you.' I spoke up.

By the sound of my voice, someone appeared behind me. I turned around, looking in Sebastian's smiling face.

'Welcome home, Katherine.' he said.

'Thank you, Sebastian.' I could help but smile when I saw him. He... I still couldn't quite get my finger on it but I was just very certain he was the one I wanted to spend my eternity with. He was the one I wanted. The one I longed for.

'Do you want some coffee?' he asked me. I could never say 'no' to a cup of coffee made by him so I nodded.

'I'll be right back.' he said with a slight bow.

'He seems very pleased to see you again.' said Ciel.

'Does he?' I said as I sat down at the chair the closest to Ciel. He was always sitting at the head and because I used to sit there too, it felt a little strange he was always sitting there now, but I couldn't help but not sit on the other side, but just next to him.

'I must say, Kate, that with you gone all the time it has become quite lonely here.' he said with a grin.

'Are you serious or are you just joking with me?'

'I am serious.'

'Is that why you came visiting me at least once a week when I was gone?' I asked with a grin.

'Indeed. I missed you.' he said with a slight blush on his face he wasn't trying to hide.

That moment, Sebastian came walking in with a cup of coffee and he put it down in front of me.

'We are very happy to have you back.' he said. He touched my shoulder slightly and an electric shock went through my entire body. It had been a long time since he touched me. It wasn't like we had a lot of time together. After all, he was a butler and he had to do whatever his master wished for, so the only hours he was free, were the hours at night. Only sometimes we would see each other and talk, because if we did other stuff, it would be heard.

'I am very happy to be back. I am full for now, so I guess I can finally stay again.'

The moment I started realizing my cravings for the human soul, was when I turned forty-two. Of course, I didn't look like forty-two, I looked barely eighteen.

I started noticing I was seeking for something. A hunger I could not still and a feeling I couldn't get rid off. Suddenly, I heard voices I had never been able to hear before and I heard them screaming for me and whenever I tried to listen to them, the screaming became even louder, up till the point that I locked myself up inside of my room.

It was Sebastian who was worried about me and walked in that day. He said it was time for me to search for a soul I could form a contract with. It was as if my whole body and mind had been waiting for permission from him, because when he said that, it only took me one day to form a contract and disappear from the house for a little while. I don't even remember the face of my master, I only remember his name. No one important, just another soul, seeking for revenge, love or another rather silly life goal.

We never talked about the soul we devoured, out of respect to our masters. It would be unkind and not butler worthy to say anything foul about the souls we consumed.