II

Sorry for taking such a long-ass time, but here is my second Chapter!

I do not own what isn't mine, including Rick's series :)

Dedicated to a person you are all destined to fan if you have not already :P

HAZEL

WAKING UP AT AN ALARM BELL is not the best way to start the morning. As soon as it started ringing, Hazel had jumped out of bed. It had sounded exactly like the one at St. Agnes for fire alarms. In those times, if she hadn’t got up early enough, she would be punished severely.

It took Hazel a few moments to realize that she was on the Argo II, rather than in New Orleans. When she did, though, she bolted it to the deck. This alarm hadn’t been used before, but she was pretty sure what it meant. Either Coach Hedge had gone absolutely crazy, or the ship was in danger.

Four demigods were already there, fully dressed this time. With a pang, Hazel realized that three of them were missing. Nico was still downstairs, healing. Hazel didn’t want to wake him up, because he was in no fit state to fight.

Then she remembered Percy and Annabeth. Her throat was still hoarse from the yelling and crying she had done while helplessly standing, watching them fall. Nightmares had haunted her with that scene, over and over again. She could barely look at herself in the mirror anymore without feeling ashamed. Frank had told her it hadn’t been her fault, and that everyone felt that way, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that she had been to frustratingly useless.

“Hippalektryon” Piper announced.

Hazel stared at her. “Excuse me?”

“It’s what they are. The front part of a black horse, and the rear half of a rooster's wings, tail and legs.” She pointed in the sky.

Hazel’s eyes adjusted the bright sun. Then, in the sky, she saw a mob of monsters. Piper had been right. Their front legs, head, and chest was that of a black stallion, and their hind and wings were that of a yellow rooster.

Leo scratched his head. “Rooster-centaurs? How many kinds of centaurs are there?”

“These aren’t centaurs, Leo” Hazel replied. “The front part is horse, so they are different kinds of monsters.”

“They are also known for being awkward-looking creatures” Frank declared.

Leo snorted. “I wonder why. Hey, do you think I could turn them into roast chicken if I-”

“Leo” Jason snapped. “We don’t need your jokes right now. This is serious.”

Piper frowned, about to ask what that was about, but she turned to Hazel instead. “Where’s Nico?” She whispered.

“Sleeping” Hazel declared with finality, so that her choice would not be questioned. Piper nodded. Hazel briefly wondered where Coach Hedge was, but it didn't cross her mind again. Maybe Jason had told him to rest or something. There was a horrible screech from the sky, and the first couple of Hippalektryon stomped onto the deck.

Hazel really didn't want to attack since she didn’t feel so good, but really, those things gave her no choice. They screeched so loudly that Hazel would be trying to hear clearly for the next week and a half. She looked at Jason, who thrust his sword in the air and yelled a battle cry.

And the deck fell into absolute chaos. Jason swung his sword in a full circle, disintegrating the monsters in front of him. Frank turned into a fox, sending most the rooster part of the monster’s brain into a panic attack.