Chapter 14

DISCLAIMER: Probably shoulda mentioned this earlier but there's underage drinking in this so yea don't do that kids. Also never go to parties alone. 

I have boobs???

Looking at my reflection in Ella's full-length mirror, it's still difficult to believe what a difference the push-up bra that's been patiently waiting in the back of my closet makes. I think one of my aunts bought it for me and I never wore it because my shirts are so baggy and my chest is so flat that I doubt it would make a difference. It does, however, make breathing significantly more difficult.

I feel kind of exposed in just a cami and denim shorts but the last party taught me that if I wear anything more, I'll probably drown in my own sweat.

Hopping onto Taty's bed, I lengthen my neck to look over at where Ella's lining her eyes. "Your top is so cute," I compliment enviously. Her small waist is the type that my mom dreams of me achieving. I'm more of a door shape than an hourglass.

"Yours too!" She finishes her makeup.

She looks so pretty. My friends always look good but it amazes me sometimes how much they can transform if they want to. We both put coats and sweats over our outfits on the off chance that Taty's mom comes home early. Taty's mom usually works overnight while my parents seem to be always home.

Taty steps into the room in a blue top and white shorts that pop against her dark chocolate skin tone, and tosses a bag of chips at Ella, who hasn't eaten anything. If anyone can avoid getting stains on white shorts at a party, it's Taty.

"Let's go. Amelia, you're taking your car, right?" Taty checks.

"Yeah, I need to grab Daniel's protein powder on the way." He only uses an ultra-special brand that is sold at one store in our city, which happens to be on the way to the house.

"Text me when you get there," Taty instructs. "Don't go in alone."

"Yes, ma'am."

---

It takes me 15 minutes just to find the exact protein powder brand and flavor that he wants and it's expensive too. Sheesh. When I finally get to the house, Taty and Ella are already waiting.

Because it's not the first game weekend, the party is noticeably less crowded than last time, meaning I can walk without being stuck between two sweaty bodies. As soon as we walk in, I spot Jaden chugging a pretty hefty amount of alcohol straight from the bottle, as guys cheer him on and slap his back. He finishes the bottle triumphantly and wipes his mouth with his wrist before pumping his fist in the air. Spotting me, he waves in my direction.

Well, at least he doesn't seem sad anymore.

---

I like to dance. I'm not good at it, at all. Also, I don't want to drink but the room is dark so my inhibitions are still lowered and I move to the music kind of on beat. Meanwhile, Ella is drinking jungle juice like a madwoman. It doesn't take much time for her face to start glowing red.

"Dude, you're sooo hot," she begins to slur, stumbling in place.

Taty and I exchange a look. "I'm gonna grab her some water," I shout so Taty can hear me.

"Stay in eyesight," Taty warns while propping a giggling Ella up.

I trudge through empty bottles and all kinds of trash to grab the last mini water bottles scattered across the floor. As I crouch down to grab the last one that rolled away, a long arm grabs it before I can.

Sugar and smoke.

"Your friends are cute," Zack says in greeting as he cracks open the bottle.

"Wait! Those are for my..." My voice trails off as he starts to chug. "Friends," I finish lamely.