Chapter 12

My parents always wanted a boy: someone my dad could play football with, someone to carry on the family name. Daniel is the epitome of the perfect son in the eyes of my parents. He's only in 8th grade but at 14 years old, he's nearly six feet tall and the best football player on his state team.

Our roles were assigned at birth. For me, the plan is to become the ultimate Ivy League student and live out my mother's dreams. So, she set up piano lessons and tutors and after-school programs. But since Daniel was born, piano recitals have fallen second to football games. Science fairs are overlooked by travel practices. Robotics medals are hung behind MVP trophies. For me, a 4.8 GPA is expected and anything less is a failure. For Daniel, even if he misses days of schoolwork, he's perfect. He plays video games for hours and doesn't have to ask to go out with his friends.

When I was younger, I wanted to play football too because I thought that then my dad would really truly love me. And I really gave it my all, the only girl at tryouts. Unfortunately, I have zero coordination and my parents quickly made it known that football is a boy's sport. Lucky them, Daniel is here to fulfill that role.

I speed to Daniel's practice, nearly run two red lights, and pass at least five cars to make it on time. My dad is already there, clearly irritated with me for cutting it close but he brightens up when Daniel jogs over. I'm basically just a chauffeur at this point but I am his sister so I make sure to stay and watch a little bit before I leave.

I get home around five and am just about to start my homework when I remember Zack's text.

Don't reply: did you think about my offer

I roll my eyes. Maybe I really shouldn't reply. My phone screen and I have a stare off before I finally give in.

Amelia: No thanks

It's dry, to say the least, but I need to focus. Stats is a full on pain in my ass and it's only been a few days since the last test.

He takes his sweet time responding.

Don't reply: you couldn't handle it

I shake my head.

Amelia: I guess we'll never know

I return to my notes but it's barely a minute when he replies.

Don't reply: I told DeMarco to fuck off today

My eyebrows shoot up.

Amelia: You're joking

Don't reply: Does it seem like I am

Amelia: I can't tell

Incoming call: Don't Reply

Panic shoots through me as my ringer goes off louder than expected and I mute my phone immediately before stepping into my closet and closing the door.

"Hello?" I answer.

"I'm not joking," he says. "Guy's a dipshit anyway."

"He's your friend," I point out,

"Exactly."

I laugh but quietly so that my mom doesn't hear.

"I have a question," I tell him, remembering my talk with Ella earlier.

"Ask."

"Is there a party next weekend?"

I can practically hear his grin as he replies, "why? You wanna ask me to go together?"

"No," I respond pointedly. "My friend wants to go."

"She cute?" he asks immediately and I feel my lips flatten out. She definitely is and I'm sure if he wanted to, Zack could seduce her. Ella has a thing for the toxic "bad boys" you see on TV and Zack's practically one in real life.