Chapter 4

(4)

Dan had rang the doorbell to Lily's apartment a minimum of 3 times. No one opened the door. He had been positive she was home- her pair of black and pink high tops that she wore everywhere were placed neatly at the front door.

Hesitantly, he reached out for the door knob and twisted it ever so slightly. To his surprise, the door swung open easily. "Is anybody home?" He called out. His voice echoed throughout the apartment. He walked around. The apartment was empty, and to Dan's disappointment, so was Lily's bedroom. Then he noticed that the bathroom door was left slightly ajar. The light in the bathroom was switched on. He knocked lightly on the bathroom door with his knuckles.

To his horror, he heard violent retching noises coming from inside. He opened the door hastily, just in time to witness Lily crouching before the toilet. She had placed two fingers in her mouth, her other hand clutched the rim of the toilet bowl. Tears were gathered at the corners of her eyes, which were rather red rimmed. She looked like she was in torture. Her eyes widened with shock when she saw Dan, whose mouth was opening and closing like that of a goldfish.

Lily took her fingers out of her mouth, she looked down, feeling both embarrassed and afraid. What was Dan going to think of her now? "What are you doing here?" Lily croaked. "I rang the doorbell," Dan sputtered. Dan wasn't a genius, but it didn't take him longer than 10 seconds to figure out what was going on. Lily had been trying to throw up what she ate. It was that thingy girls did because they thought it would keep them from getting fat. "Why were you doing that?" Dan asked, trying to get Lily to look him in the eye. Lily looked up, her beautiful brown-gold-green eyes swam with tears. "Why do you think? Just look at me." Lily replied, her voice was shaky. Dan stared at her in shock, his hands shot out to take Lily by the shoulders. "Lily, you're beautiful. You're beautiful both inside and out." Dan said confidently. Lily's eyes clouded with doubt. Dan gathered her into his arms, holding her tight. How could someone so wonderful do this to herself? Lily felt warm and soft in his embrace. Her hands clung to his T-shirt. Dan could feel her shaking. She whimpered lightly, burying her face in his chest. It made Dan feel more affectionate towards her than ever. He stroked her beautiful amber hair, rocking her back and forth slowly, like a child. They stayed that way for a while, before Lily pulled away, rather awkwardly. Dan released her reluctantly.

Dan thought for a while for a way to cheer her up, the turbine in his brain whirred. "Wanna do a Harry Potter marathon tonight? We could do it at my place. Phil's visiting his family tonight, we'll have the apartment to ourselves." Dan suggested. Lily perked up almost immediately. "How did you know I love Harry Potter?" Lily asked cheerfully. Dan was relieved to find that she had returned to her usual, bubbly self. Dan gestured towards Lily's room, where the walls were adorned with Harry Potter posters, in response. Lily grinned. "Yeah, I'd love to do a Harry Potter marathon with you."

***a few hours later:

Dan and Lily laid out the food they bought from the grocery store earlier on the kitchen counter. They had gotten frozen Pizza, lasagna (I've been spelling lasagna as lagsane all my life. I feel so embarrassed. >

After preparing the food, Dan and Lily sat before the television (or as the British call it, the "Telly", LOL) balancing paper plates on their laps. "This is, like, the best lasagna ever." Dan announced after taking a bite, "you're an awesome cook, Lily." Lily turned to look at Dan in surprise. "I just heated it in the microwave oven." She replied, before the two burst out in uncontrollable laughter. It wasn't particularly funny or anything- laughing was just such a fun thing to do, especially when you're with a friend. "I haven't had Pizza in ages, this is the best night ever," Lily admitted, nibbling the tip of her slice of Pizza. Dan grinned at Lily affectionately as the movie started to play.

***

It was definitely the best night ever, for both Dan and Lily. They debated over several Harry Potter topics and usually ended up in fits of laughter, Lily ate more junk food than she had in a long time, and Dan was proud of himself for making her.

In the middle of the 5th movie (Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix), Lily dozed off, her head resting on Dan's shoulder. Dan observed her delicate features and toyed with her amber hair, before carrying her (bridal style, I might add, hohohoh) to his bedroom and laying her gently on his mattress, where she immediately curled up into a little ball. "Pancakes," she muttered happily in her sleep. Dan bit back a laugh before lovingly brushing a strand of red hair out of Lily's peaceful, angelic face. Her mouth was curved into a small, adorable smile. And at that moment, Dan wanted Lily. He wanted her so badly, it hurt. But he wasn't about to take advantage of a girl who was asleep. (Lily brushed her teeth after she had dinner, by the way. I know it's a strange time to be inserting such a note, but I just can't stand the thought of having Lily go to bed before brushing her teeth. Ugh.) Dan decided he was going to crash Phil's room, and he left after taking another look at Lily with affection.

***A note from the author:

Thank you for reading Unexpected! You might've either accidentally clicked the read button, but thanks for that, too! ^^ I would really, really appreciate it if you left a comment- no matter how short. It would make me so happy, I could just DIE. And if it's not too much trouble, please vote for my story if you enjoyed it! Once again, thank you! 💛

-Marley.