ONE

ONE. SAMUEL AND LOUISA

THE FIRST THING RHEA REEVES HEARD ON WEDNESDAY MORNING WAS SAMUEL CREED CACKLING IN THE TEACHER'S LOUNGE. She had recognised the familiar sound as soon as she stepped inside, her sunglasses over her eyes and reusable coffee cup tight in her grip. She hadn't gotten enough sleep the night before, though that came as no surprise. An uncomfortable groan left her lips as the heat hit her like a slap to the face; they never had the money to have a working thermostat so they just kept it on high from September through March.

Samuel shot up from where he was reclined on the couch at the sight of the woman, seeing her yawning and muttering to herself about all the work she had to do that day. The To-Do list in her head was far more complicated than the one she put on paper, yet it drove her just as crazy. He lightly kicked the lady in front of him, and spread his arms out wide. "Hey, there she is!"

"Good morning," Rhea dramatically heaved her work bag onto the table, before collapsing on the worn couch and resting her head on her coworker's shoulder. He smelled nice - that was her favourite thing about the man. Unlike some of the other men they worked with, he chose to shower everyday and even wore a subtle spray of cologne. His hygiene, however, did not transfer to his sense in fashion. He, like most other days, was dressed in a loose button down shirt and baggy jeans. His lack of style was something he had been getting away with far too long in the job. Initially, they were required to at least look presentable, but after a few weeks both teachers had become the boss' favourites.

It wasn't hard to tell, considering it was their boss who he'd just kicked in shin.

"You look exhausted," Louisa snickered, reaching for Rhea's coffee cup and lifting it to her nose, sniffing it. She pulled a face, and pretended to retch over her arm. "Is there vodka in this?"

"Of course not," Rhea scoffed, taking it back and chugging what was left inside. It tasted like shit, as she hadn't let the coffee machine finish before she ran out the door without so much as a goodbye to her cat. She made an obnoxious 'ah' sound as she finished the last few drops, and blew the principal a kiss. Louisa pinched her nose at the smell of triple shot espresso. "And if there was, I'm not sharing with you."

The seventy-five year old stuck her middle finger up in the air at the young woman, who laughed in response. It was like this everyday; she'd drag herself into the staffroom and complain about being tired, but mere moments with her friends and she'd be ready for a new day. That was the beauty of Highbrook Elementary; everybody loved each other there.

Samuel's arm snuck around Rhea's shoulder and squeezed, causing her to move her head to look at him. The rings under his eyes had become a staple part of his 'look' over the years, indicating that the was ageing faster with all of the kids surrounding him. "Are we still on for the joint game of capture the flag after lunch?"

Rhea nodding enthusiastically and gestured to her overflowing work bag on the table. "I've got twenty bucks in my purse saying my kids will kick your ass."