TWENTY-FIVE

unedited

TWENTY-FIVE

TWENTY-FIVE. THE TRIAL

"WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS?" RHEA ASKED FROM WHERE SHE SAT ON THE FLOOR OF THE EMPTY GYM. It was one of those private rooms for classes that many young women took so they wouldn't have to be gawked at by creepy men. It also meant that she could practise her self-defence with Anderson without embarrassing herself. 

"Because Doctor Reid's trial is coming up, and regardless of the outcome, we all think it's a good idea for you to learn how to defend yourself," Anderson replied, straightening out his tank top. It had taken a couple of days, but with the help of Emily and JJ, he'd managed to convince her to at least give it a go. 

"It's not like that Scratch guy is gonna come knocking on my door," Rhea shrugged as she finished tying up the laces of one of her sneakers. Anderson raised his eyebrows at her, and she smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, I know. I just...I already know how to take care of myself."

"Yeah, sure," Anderson waved her over. "Come on, get up. I want you to start with deflecting and learning how to properly throw a punch."

"You're underestimating me, Anderson," she hummed, pushing herself up and wandering his way. She didn't bother posing, or getting into a fighting stance like he was, as she thought he looked pretty ridiculous. "Go on, hit me."

"I'm not gonna hit you," he said, but was met with a look of slight irritation. He sighed softly, before making a point that he was moving to strike. 

He was taken by surprise when Rhea ducked out of the way and elbowed him in the stomach. Winded, he gasped for breath. He swung once more, but she was far too quick for him. She dropped to the floor and grabbed his leg, yanking it upwards so he'd lose his footing. He yelped as he fell to the ground, falling on his shoulder. 

Rhea got to her feet, and smiled softly. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he grunted, sitting up. "Where did you learn that?"

She tilted her head. "I was a foster kid who used to pick fights. I had to learn to protect myself. Also, do you really think Daisy would let me roam around on my own without teaching me how to kick someone's ass?"

He chuckled. "Fair point."

They trained for the next few hours, until the sun disappeared behind the office buildings. The darkness seemed to cloud Rhea entirely, and Anderson could only watch as she grew weary and exhausted from the thought of spending another night alone. 

He sat opposite her as she reached for her car keys. "Rhea, regardless of how his trial goes, you're not going to be alone."

"I know," she managed a smile. 

He could tell she didn't believe him. 

★☆

The day of the trial came, and Rhea quickly realised she didn't have the stomach to sit and listen to people judge a man who wasn't guilty.