Patrolling with Scorpius

Now that Albus was speaking to her again, the rest of the weekend passed quickly. Quidditch practice on Sunday went much better than it had gone the day before, and while she didn't actually spend any time with Scorpius - she had far too much schoolwork to get done - she did see him walk into the Great Hall with Albus for dinner. Albus wouldn't tell her what they'd said, but he did confirm that they were back on speaking terms.

Considering how busy her Mondays were, she thought the day went rather well. Class passed quickly, and she even found a little time to flirt with Scorpius during Care of Magical Creatures and History of Magic.

She was in such a good mood that when she headed to the library once classes had ended, she managed to finish her Potions work and make a dent in Transfiguration before it was time for dinner.

Feeling very pleased with herself, she made her way down to the Great Hall. When she entered, she made a beeline for the Hufflepuff table; she kept trying to make plans to see her brother, but they kept falling through, and she was starting to think it might be easier to just eat with him a couple times a week. On the way, however, a very harassed looking Evelyn Greengrass cornered her.

"Rose, I'm so glad you're here," she said breathlessly. "Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure."

"Pritchard ended up in the hospital wing after they had Herbology today and Wood somehow managed to land himself in detention," Evelyn said very quickly. "Would you switch with them and patrol tonight? Noah's already said he will. It's only that if you can't, Ethan and I have to do it, because the other fifth years have clubs or practice this evening and you obviously can't switch with the sixth years, and I have a big Herbology assignment due tomorrow, and Tuesday is always one of my worst days even without that—"

"Evelyn," Rose interrupted, "it's fine. I don't mind."

Evelyn blew out a sigh of relief and seemed to relax considerably. "I could hug you right now. Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it."

"It's really not a problem," she said, shifting her bag from one shoulder to the other. Gratitude tended to make her feel rather uncomfortable. "Though I'm still not sure why I got made a prefect in the first place."

"Oh, well, a few of the older prefects recommended you," Evelyn said distractedly, her mind clearly already on her homework. "Thanks, Rose."

"No problem," Rose said, wondering who those 'older prefects' were. She suspected Lucy was one of them, but she had no idea who the others could be.

She put it out of her mind and continued on to the Hufflepuff table, where she had a very enjoyable dinner. Natalia and Daniel regaled her with the story of just how Lindsay Pritchard had ended up passing out after receiving a very nasty bite, and Hugo spent a solid twenty minutes talking about how much he liked Ancient Runes. That, at least, was a subject Rose could converse enthusiastically on; it was one of her favorite classes, too.

When she noticed that it was just before seven, she got up. "Sorry, guys. Patrol. I'll see you in later."

Hugo made a face. "Why'd they make you a prefect anyway? I never see you anymore."

She shrugged. "Search me. We'll do something soon, I promise." She hurried toward the double doors, where she could see Noah waiting.

"Lucky us," he said when she reached him.

"I don't mind so much," she said. "By the time Evelyn got to me, I thought she was going to cry."

"I wanted to practice my Patronus, but Andrew cornered me, and... well, he's my brother. What was I supposed to say? Sod off?" He sighed. "Same as last time?"