Eavesdropping in the Corridor

Rose was on her way to Ancient Runes later that day when she heard a familiar voice. She peered around the corner and saw Albus and Scorpius walking toward her. She hurried past the roped off section of swamp in the corridor and ducked behind a portrait to the secret passage concealed by it, crossing her fingers that they'd stop near it.

They did. Her grandmother had always said that eavesdroppers never heard anything they wanted to hear, but she didn't care what she heard, so surely that wouldn't hold true. She was dying of curiosity about Scorpius thought of his hair, and judging from his agitated tone, he was definitely talking about it.

"Look, I know you said she was with you the whole morning," Scorpius was saying, "but seriously, do you really believe that she didn't have anything to do with it?"

Albus sighed. "Honestly? No. I don't really believe that. But she was with me, so unless someone admits it, she has what she loves to call 'plausible deniability.' And you don't know that it was her."

"Oh, please. She's pretty much the only one in this school I can think of who has a serious grudge against me - her, your brother, and your cousin, anyway. Of course it was her."

Albus sighed. "You really don't like her, do you?"

"Not at all," Scorpius admitted after a moment. "Sorry."

"Why? She's one of my favorite people in the world —not that that's a reason for you to like her, I suppose, but she's a very nice person, really."

There was a moment of silence, and Scorpius said, "Look. You're one of my best friends. I don't want to offend you."

"But?"

"But, well..." he paused again. "Look, some of your family are perfectly nice, but..."

"What?" Rose heard a thud as Albus's bag hit the ground. "Just spit it out. There's no one around."

Scorpius sighed. "Look, it's just... honestly? Her, your brother, Roxanne - they're arrogant, self-satisfied prats."

"I know it looks that way, but—"

Scorpius cut him off. "Did you want me to answer?"

Albus checked himself. "Go ahead. Am I allowed to disagree afterward?"

"Sure." Scorpius sighed again, started to say something, paused, and started again. Rose could practically feel the awkwardness of the situation oozing through the tapestry. "Damn, Al. I know they're family, I know you have to love them, but your brother? Roxanne? Rose? They all strut around this school like they own it - along with Tyler Jordan, I guess, but I never have to see him, so I don't particularly care. They seem to think that being smart and good at sports makes them God's gift to the school. To the world."

"Rose isn't really part of that group, though." Rose rolled her eyes. She wasn't sure who Albus thought he was fooling with that. Of course she was. "She's on the team with them and all, sure, but..."

"Oh, don't give me that," snapped Scorpius. "She might be one of your best friends, but she spends a hell of a lot of time with them, too. Are you really telling me that she doesn't?"

Al sighed. "No, I'm not."

"Who's her favorite cousin, apart from you?" Scorpius pressed.

"James," Albus admitted after a moment of hesitation.

"And it's not just Quidditch. She seems to be with them whenever you're off with your friends who she doesn't approve of, which is everyone who's not in Gryffindor—"