Chapter 2: Poor Dumb Freshman

The next day, when Rebecca and I were leaving for school, Dad wasn't even up yet and Mom refused to look at us. I noted that the recycling bin was practically overflowing with beer bottles. Rebecca saw it too but tried not to acknowledge it. She grabbed her backpack and left without saying a word to Mom. As I was turning to leave I caught a glimpse of our mom shudder with a silent sob.

Are you serious?

I sighed to myself. These people act like we got cancer. No, cancer would be better than this. They're acting more like we slammed a dead cat on the table and went 'LOOK WHAT I KILLED FOR YOU'.

"Love you, Mom," I muttered.

She looked up, shocked, I guess thinking we had already left. She smiled at me. "You're so sweet, Britt. I love you, too."

I left before things could get too...sentimental. When I reached the front door Rebecca was standing there waiting on me. Her eyebrows were raised, already teasing me about my touching moment with our homophobic mother. I practically shoved her into the wall trying to get out of that house.

"I'll see you at school," I murmured, walking as fast as I could to school. She would drive and I would see her pass by me, just like every morning. She offers to drive me to school all the time, but I like the walk. It takes me about twenty minutes to get there on foot, which is good - it gives me time to think. I put my headphones on my head and listen to music while I walk. While I'm walking, minding my own business, trying to keep my eyes on the ground, I sense that someone is right behind me. I look over my shoulder and regret it immediately.

It's a girl. She's about my age, maybe a year younger, because she's got that Freshman look about her that just looks pathetically weak. Her hair is in low pigtails and she has thick glasses that make her eyes twice their actual size. And she's staring at me. When I look at her she smiles and doesn't look away. When you check out someone, and they see you, isn't it common curtesy to look away quickly and refuse to look at them again?

"Hi," she says breathlessly, her cheeks turning pink.

I nod my head and look forward again, trying to quicken my pace. She keeps up. Now she's beside me and talking so loud I can hear her over my music.

"My name is Ginny, I just moved here from Florida."

I decide this is pointless, ignoring her. I take out my headphones and keep my gaze straight ahead.

"Why would you move to Ohio?" I ask.

She does a little skip, which would probably be cute to anyone else, but I really don't feel like dealing with her this morning. I've got enough on my plate, little girl. I need to start looking for a beard.

"My Dad's parents live here, and he wanted to be closer to them." She talks so fast I'm pretty sure she never needs to breathe. Is she some kind of alien? "He thinks it'll be good for my brother and I. I'm happy we moved, though - I'm not a big fan of the beach, as weird as that sounds. I really like the snow! I'm so excited to see snow for the first time."

Wow, go away.

"Good thing we get a lot of that here."

She laughs, like that was funny. She's still doing that weird skip thing when she walks. I look at her and see she's still staring at me. I guess she's pretty - she's got a nice round face, pretty brunette hair, and she has a good rack. She's cute...probably a good fit for my needs. Maybe I should be a little nicer...

We're almost on school grounds when I stop. She jerks to a hault and looks up at me.

Ginny...sweet, short, young Ginny. Hopefully she's never had a relationship and doesn't have any expectations. I need someone who can't tell the difference between a guy who is laid back, aloof, and quiet or a guy who...well, doesn't like girls.

"I'm Britt," I say, giving her the most charming smile I can muster. It's probably not that good, but after reading all those romance books maybe I can make up for looks with cheesy poem quotes and intense one-liners.

Ginny grins and bites her bottom lip. "I'm Ginny."

"I know that." I smirk.

"Oh...oh! Duh, I already told you, wow," she's breathless again, which is kind of cute in that 'poor, dumb freshman' way.

"Come on, Ginny." I take her hand and walk her up to the school. Her hand is warm, but it feels weird in mine. As soon as we walk through the doors I see Rebecca, who looks confused all to Hell.