Thirty-eight

Chapter thirty-eight:
"Blowing happy bubbles"

➳ Honestly the last couple of chapters were a MISTAKE, but I'm gonna roll with it since I had that conflict planned from long ago

Honestly the last couple of chapters were a MISTAKE, but I'm gonna roll with it since I had that conflict planned from long ago.

[☁️]

Two weeks passed.

Two long goddamn weeks in which Muichiro hadn't seen your face. No smiles, no goodnights, no small talk or random compliments, he barely heard you say anything to him besides house chores-related stuff. You were too busy going on constant missions to avoid being at home with the cause of your many mental breakdowns. Once in a while you would stop by the butterfly estate to have a proper meal with the girls instead of eating street food. Shinobu would always welcome you warmly, and Kanao would join you whenever she wasn't busy training those really loud demon slayers.

But you knew that you had left the mist pillar completely abandoned.

He would sit in silence in his mansion, looking around that place plagued with memories of all that you two had gone through. He had never felt so lonely, not even before meeting you.

It was the beginning of week three and he had decided to go to the butterfly estate to check if you were there. Spring was still settling in, meaning that the butterflies were roaming around as cheerfully as ever, the cold of winter now gone and forgotten. The grass beneath his sandals smelt fresh, baby sprouts were beginning to grow to become beautiful flowers. The estate wasn't peaceful, however, due to how incredibly loud the three patients were during their recovery training, even though they were supposed to leave for a mission the next day. But still, he ignored that and kept walking towards the place where he would pick you up after the pillar meetings, which was the garden that had a rock-circled pond.

He came to a halt when his ears picked up the sound of laughter. It was just like a birdsong, so joyous that he couldn't help but change the stern line of his lips into a gentle smile. His eyes, too, smiled to the point of overflowing into the fresh spring air.

Not too far from where he was standing, there was a ton of bubbles floating in the air. The sun made them look like tiny circular rainbows coloring everything around them, such as the cheerful [h/c]-haired girl that hopped around popping every single one of them, giggling to herself nonstop as the slightly older black-haired female blowed the bubbles through her star-shaped wand.

"Go slower! I can barely catch my breath jumping around like this, Kanao!" you whined, hopping to catch another big bubble.

Kanao looked at you with half-lidded eyes, softly smiling at your pouting. She thought it was cute.

And that's why she blew a ton more bubbles so you wouldn't have time to even speak, just whine.