30. "call off the wedding"

Lucy Heartfilia

I stared at the new and improved box of invitations sitting on my desk ready to be sent out. To Fairy Tail. They did lose, or should I say, threw away, their invite cards.

During this time, I thought a lot about the guild. If I were to go through with this wedding... this would be the last time I see them.

I would no longer be Lucy Heartfilia of Fairy Tail but Lucy Sawarr, owner of the Heartfilia - Sawarr company.

"I didn't realize what a big step I would be taking." I whispered to myself.

I called for Virgo and gave her the box to give to Fairy Tail. I also invited them to come to the Manor two days before the wedding, that was gonna be my bachelorette party.

Just as she left, i heard a knock on my door, opening it slowly and a head peeking out. Without taking a look at him, I rolled my eyes and sighed, "I'm not in the mood right now, James."

He didn't reply, which was odd. Even with my back turned to him, I felt his presence enter the room, close the door, and stood still. "If you're just gonna-"

"It's me, Luce." I flinched at the nickname, a name created by that person, the man I was dreading to see. I snapped my head to the door, revealing a pink haired dragon slayer staring at me with depressing eyes.

"N-Natsu..." I set the wedding invitations down on my desk and signaled him to sit down. He entered the room and locked the door, making sure we had privacy. I felt my heart start to become heavy as I watched him take a step closer to me. It was suffocating, but I knew that if we could just talk I'd feel relieved. I deserved the closure. "What did you wanna talk about?"

He didn't reply. instead he sat down on my bed and reached for my wrists and dragged me to sit next to him. "You set the date, huh." He finally spoke. I stared at him confused. Why was he acting this way? I mean, I knew he was against the idea of me getting married, but he has no reason to sulk over it. He doesn't love me.

"I should have set our wedding date ages ago. There was only one thing that was stopping me." My voice trailed.

He laughed defeatedly, I could hear the exhaustion in his voice. "Me." I hadn't noticed that he was still holding onto my wrists until I felt his grip around me tightened as he replied. "Are you trying to punish me Lucy?"

"W-what?"

"I'm sorry for what I did!" he yelled standing up frustratingly as he started to pace around my room, tugging onto his pink hair stressed. "I shouldn't have chosen you over Lisanna, I know that now!"

My eyes widened as he continued to ramble on about how he chose wrong and it was too late. My brain was starting to ache trying to listen and understand what the hell he was talking about and why he was saying this to me. "Please Luce... please. Call off the wedding."

I gasped as he fell on his knees in front of me, clutching onto my hands tightly, never letting go. He brought my fingers close to his face as I could feel teardrops fall on my palm. I've never seen this side of Natsu. He looked desperate, heartbroken even.

But for what?

"N-Natsu..." I whispered, trying to grab his attention. "Lisanna is a great girl, you should be lucky to have her." I bit the inside of my cheeks as I said that, because that was the truth. Lisanna is sweet and loving, and even though I only observed them as a couple for a few days, I just know that she loves him with all her heart. And so does he.

He shook his head, "no Luce. Me and Lis aren't-" before he could finish his sentence I heard a knock coming from my door.

"Lucy? Are you okay? Why do I hear screaming?" it was James. I watched as the door handle started to turn, but couldn't fully open as Natsu locked the door. "Honey, why'd you lock the door for?"

I heard a low growl from Natsu, who was kneeling on the ground crying in front of me. He snapped his head to the door and muttered, "you bastard." I watched as he slowly got up from the ground and started to stomp his way over there.

I felt heat radiate his aura and a small flame ready to ignite in his hands.

He was about to blow.

I ran to Natsu before he could reach for the doorknob and hugged his body from behind. I could hear a small sizzle from who knows where and his body temperature rising rapidly. "Natsu stop!" I cried out as my hands wrapped around his chest and tried holding him back.

I dont know why, but as I hugged him from behind, I could feel all my doubt and worry vanish. It was as if all the weight on my shoulder finally lifted just as I embraced my hot headed best friend.

I missed this feeling. The feeling of being safe.

It seemed he missed it too. He didn't move, but I could tell this really helped calm him down. His body was no longer engulfed in flames and his tensed muscles relaxed. "Lucy..." he whispered, turning around and grabbing my waist and slamming my body into his. He laid his chin on my head and wrapped his arms around my neck.

We stayed like this for awhile and I wasn't complaining. This was where I belonged, in his arms. As much as I wanted to stay in this position, I heard another knock on the door, "that's it Lucy, I'm coming in," my eyes widened as I heard the sound of a key being injected in the keyhole and started to wobble.

"N-Natsu-" before I could finish my sentence, he planted a small kiss on the top of my head, and ran to the window sliding it open enough for him to jump out. "Meet me at the garden, midnight." before I could answer, he fell out the window and I heard a small thump and a loud ouch.

I rushed towards the window and saw that he landed on his back and smiled. My clumsy dragon. "Are you okay?" I whispered and he grinned. He shot me a thumbs up and I slammed my window shut just as James slammed the door open.

I jumped in surprise as James opened the door. He had an annoyed expression on his face as he looked around in the room. "Sorry about that, I was changing." I smiled innocently yet I could tell he wasn't buying it.

"I heard voices..." he muttered.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I sent Virgo to deliver the wedding invites."

His brows furrowed, staring at me with a hint of doubt. "So why do you look happy?"

My smile started to widen, thinking about that small yet loving encounter I just had with Natsu. "Just... excited for our wedding!"