The Gift - Chapter 1

“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Daisy, happy birthday to you.”

Ah, my birthday, that was definitely the best thing to wake up to. I sat up in my bed and rubbed my eyes to see everyone standing around my bed with Jenny holding a cake with 17 candles on and Gareth holding an envelope. When they finished singing Jenny passed me the cake so I could blow out the candles and Gareth handed me the envelope which had my name on it.

“Aww thanks everyone.” I say smiling and tearing open the envelope. Inside was a card with “Happy 17th birthday” on the front, I opened the card up and inside was 5 £10 notes and an individual message from everyone in the home. I say my thanks again and give everyone a hug when Mae handed me another envelope. 2 cards? I wonder who this one was from. I tear open this envelope and see inside a note and 3 tickets.

I read the note. ‘Happy birthday Daisy, instead of giving you presents this year, we have decided to give you £50 to spend on whatever you want and 3 tickets to see One Direction, they are front row and you will also be able to go backstage for 10 minutes, you will see them March 23rd 2012. Hope you have a great birthday, lots of love, everyone. xxx”

O. M. G.

I was going to see and meet One Direction. After reading the note I just felt like collapsing and just screaming out all of my emotions. I don’t think I have ever smiled so much in my life. I was actually speechless and I couldn’t even manage to slip out a small ‘Thank you’. Just the thought of meeting them in real life just made me go crazy inside. Plus, March 23rd was tomorrow, TOMORROW.

“Thank you so, so much guys.” I scream. They all laugh at me because they think I’m over reacting about this, I guess they really just don’t understand.

“Are you happy with that?” Dylan, a boy in the care home, asked.

“Oh god, yes!” I giggle, I just couldn’t stop smiling. I think this is the happiest I have ever been. I like being happy, it’s not very often you can see me smile, although I guess I’ve never really had a reason to smile. My life has been terrible. I know there are people who have it much worse than me and have absolutely nothing but their body but nobody will really understand what it is really like for me. Only I will understand me.

Everyone, apart from Mae, left after I had finished with all my birthday attention and Mae came and sat on the bottom end of my bed.

“Did you know about this?” I asked her jokingly, I obviously knew she knew, I just don’t see why she didn’t get excited over the past few days.

“No…” She laughed, “Of course I did, I had to do my best at keeping it a secret though didn’t I?”

I smiled and gave her a hug. I lay back on my bed and sighed deeply. Tomorrow would best the best day ever…