The Gift - Introduction

Hi, this is me. My name is Dayleen. Isn’t that just the most hideous name you’ve ever heard of? I prefer people to just call me Daisy, that’s much nicer, although, when people ask me what my name is, I just tell them that my name is Daisy, I’ve managed to keep my disgusting real name a secret somehow for the past 10 years. Oh, did I tell you I live in a care home? Yep, when I was 5, my Father shot my Mother right in front of my very eyes, my Mum died in hospital the next day and my Dad was prisoned leaving me, well, alone. I have been in care for 11 years now, it’s a very nice care home though, the carers are lovely and I get along with near-enough everyone in the house.

I have one best friend, she’s called Mae, she’s only been here for 3 years but she’s the only one that is my age, we’re both 16 and by the time we reach 18, we’re allowed to leave this place and we’ve already decided that we’re going to rent a flat together. Did I mention that it’s my 17th birthday tomorrow? I am so excited! I love birthdays, even if it isn’t my own. I just love the whole concept of it, and the celebrations and the fact that everyone is together and everyone is happy. There are 13 of us altogether in this house, 6 girls, including me and Mae, and 5 boys plus the two carers. I guess I could say they are my family, I live with them, fight with them, laugh with them, and I love each and every single one of them.

I don’t know why Mae is in care though, and I will never know, she won’t tell anyone, not even me. The only one who does know is our lady carer, Jenny, but obviously she would keep it a secret from everyone, not even our other carer, Gareth, knows why she is here. Even though she is the craziest person you will ever meet, she is also the most secretive too.

Mae and I get to share the biggest room in the house, she is like my main sister, we have a lot in common but there’s one thing that just overpowers the rest. We both have a love for a certain boy-band called One Direction. Our bedroom wall is literally covered in posters and basically our lives revolve around them. I have Harry and Mae has Niall, but we love them all equally. We’ve never seen them in person before but we hope to next year at their tour, that is if we can afford tickets, or who knows, I might get tickets for my birthday tomorrow. Who knows?