17

"Deanna," Rowan growled. The woman let out a little laugh, not at all similar to Aelin's usual mischievous sound. She walked over to the window and gazed out at the snow beyond.

"I am growing to like this body," She looked down at herself and ran a hand over her curves, "it was quite comfortable last time."

"Get out, Deanna," Rowan snarled again, but the God simply turned to Amren

"Sister," she smiled, "what an age it has been."

"What do you want?" Amren snapped, stepping closer to Aelin. Rowan, however, intercepted their path. If Amren hurt Deanna, it would still be Aelin's body that suffered in the end. That's probably why the God had come here this way in the first place - so she couldn't be attacked.

"I just thought I would say hello and give you a heads up."

And just like that, Deanna left - fled from the body she inhabited - leaving Aelin to crumple to the floor. Her mate was instantly there, checking to see if she was okay.

But one question remained. A heads up for what?

"Little bitch!" Aelin growled, standing up and dusting herself off. Before she could continue her little rant, a horrifying screech sounded.

"Aelin?" Lysandra asked her," How long have you been tunnelling into your magic?"

"Four days or so."

"Do you think you can take them?"

The queen nodded in response, but Cassian stepped forward. "Take on what?

"Have a look."

Outside the window, hoards of valg flew overhead and ran through the streets, igniting chaos. They had come to take over the city.

"Winnow us down there," Rowan ordered the inner circle. They connected hands and appeared on the bridge of the sidra a second later - i'm the direct line of the monsters. The Illyrian general unsheathed his weapon from his back, intending to fight, but Aelin gave him a look.

"I'd move back, if I were you," she smirked.

"What do you mean? We need to fight-"

Cassian's words cut off when Aelin erupted into flames. Her her whole body became liquid light and the colour of her iris shone a stunning blue, with the golden parts glowing almost as bright as the sun.

The inner circle still didn't seem inclined to move, though.

"Get back, Gods dammit!" Rowan shouted "Or you'll get hurt."

As the heat expanded from the queen's body, they had no choice but to step behind the male's shield of wind. Rhysand added another of his own, protecting the people of Velaris, and Azriel and Cassian prepared their siphons for use.

A beam of fire suddenly erupted from the queen, instantly frying the Ilken that flew over head. There must have been about six hundered of them, but still, she burnt and burnt and burnt.

"By the cauldron.." Feyre muttered. The ground underneath her had begun to bubble at the temperature she had created. They were all thinking the same thing - how powerful did she have to be to be able to melt stone?

Rhysand gritted his teeth, his magic almost worn out. Ash reigned down upon them and cast a blanket over the cobbled streets like freshly set snow.

But eventually, when it seemed like the high lord's magic was going to give in, the fire simply stopped.

Aelin turned around with a smile, bits of dust stuck to her hair, "Sorry about the...remains."

"How are you not tired?" Cassian mumbled, mouth agape, "I mean.. you used a lot of magic."

"Ah, that was only about a 1/4 of the tank. Got plenty more where that came from, bat boy."

"You're more powerful than Rhys," Amren stated. The inner circle exchanged nervous looks, but Aelin just brushed her clothes.

"I may not betired," she laughed "but I am hungry."

And so the group went back inside and prepared a meal, sitting around the circular table and digging into their food. Before their dinner, Rhys and Feyre had done a quick check around the city, but everything was perfect and intact.

They had certainly picked the right person to help them in the war.

-

Still cramped around a circular table, the group ate healthy delicacies like chicken and vegetables - trying to rebuild their strength.

"Oh no," Feyre suddenly said, standing up and placing a hand on her stomach. The group looked at her with confusion, but Aelin had already figured out what was happening.

"What is it?" Rhys asked with panic when The high lady scrunched her brows in pain. She gritted her teeth and let out a wince.

"The baby is coming."