10

Feyre wanted to burn all of their eyeballs out of their sockets. They way they were staring at her - at her stomach - made her feel extremely vulnerable.

"This," Thesan rose from his chair and walked over to the window, looking out with a sigh, "complicates things."

Tarquin continued to stare, jaw dropped so far down that he could catch anything in his mouth.

"Are you serious?" he said, eyes finally darting to Rhysand. He was shocked, but I wasn't sure why.

"Yes, Tarquin. Do you think I would joke about being with child when we are on the verge of another war?" Feyre answered instead.

"No, just... shit," he leaned back in his chair with exasperation. Silence spread throughout the room once more as everyone contemplated their thoughts.
Thesan walked back over to his seat and sat down with a thud, running a hand through his brown hair.

"Giving the precariousness of the situation, we need to wrap it up quickly. The longer we are here, the more likely Tamlin and Beron are to come."

"Okay, but first things first," Rhys said, straightening, "we need to work as a unified force as much as possible. We can't be divided against Tamlin and Beron."

"I agree," Helion said, "but there is something you should know..."

"We found a... thing, in the day court. It's nothing that I have ever seen before. It looked just like an ordinary fae, but its eyes were different. Soulless."

"Did you figure out what it was?"

"We still aren't entirely sure, but it called itself a Valg."

Feyre had no idea what that was, but out of the corner of her eye, Amren tensed. whatever she knew the high lady would question her later.

"It feasted on four people before we managed to kill it. We cut off its head and black blood came out."

"Black?" Kallias repeated face paling even more than it already was.

"Yes. It also told us to prepare. That there was more on the way lead by a force bigger than we could ever imagine."

Rhys ran a hand down his face, "so it is war then?" he whispered, "for a second time."

"We need to find more information, but get prepared just in case. The valg seemed as if it was working with Tamlin and Beron, so I'm not sure."

"We'll look in the libraries in Velaris, see what we can figure out, "Feyre said.

And on that final note, they said their goodbyes and winnowed back to the townhouse.

-+-

"By the cauldron," Cassian mumbled, "does anyone know what the valg are?"

"I do," was all Amren said. She was silent, staring at the wall. Her silver eyes churned with an emotion that nobody could quite place.

"I think it's time you learnt my story. Who I really am - where I come from."

They followed her into the sitting room, perching themselves on chairs or lounging in front of the fireplace. Amren remained standing.

"The world I am from is called Erelia. It's beautiful, split into different Kingdoms that are ruled over by kings and queens. There was a war-"

She picked up a glass of blood and took a few gulps before continuing.

"- A war of the valg. The valg are a species, like demons, and Erawan, Mantyx and Orcus were valg kings. A portal opened during the final battle and I went through, which is how I landed in Prythian."

They all nodded, listening intently.

"The kings were defeated, almost. Mantyx and Orcus were locked away forever, but Erawan was put in an eternal sleep by a queen called Elena. That was the only way they could win."

"Did he stay asleep?" Rhysand asked softly. She shook her head.

"Ten years ago, he woke up. He started another war which only just ended a few months ago. A young queen named Aelin Galathynius killed him for good, along with another called Maeve. She was a valg queen. She defeated their armies with her court and allies and finally got rid of them."

"How do you know this, if you have been in this world the whole time?" Cassian asked.

"Because my sister told me."

"Your sister?" Mor's mouth was wide. She did not know Amren had any family that were still alive.

"She has lived in Erelia her whole life, but she whispers in my ear sometimes. She told me about the queen and the war. She hates Aelin."

"Why?"

Amren walked over to the crushed velvet sofa and sat down.
"My sister's name is Deanna. She is a God, I am a God. There are these powerful objects - the Wyrdkeys - that Erawan wanted. The gods promised Aelin that if she forged the lock to destroy the keys forever, then they would kill the valg king themselves."

"The cost of forging the lock was Aelin's life. The queen did it, of course, but when she talked to the gods they didn't keep their end of the deal."

"What did Aelin do?" Rhysand asked carefully.

"She banished them to a world of horror and destruction - Deanna included. Deanna is evil and I do not get along with her. Aelin Galathynius had every right to do what she did."

"She survived the forging of the lock," Amen went on, "but Deanna was enraged. A few weeks ago, I felt her presence arrive in this world. I do not know how she got out, but U know that she is the one behind the valg. She must have let them into Prythian."

Feyre stood up with a sigh, "but why would she want to start a war here?"

"Revenge. Glory. There are many things that my sister would do to get her power back. She most likely wants to take over this word so that she can make a name for herself again."

"Do you know how to kill the valg, Amren? Can you defeat Deanna?" the high lord whispered.

"I can and I will fight Deanna. She was never kind to me and for that, she will pay. But I do not know how to kill these demons."

Cassian looked out of the window. They could get rid of the main problem, yet there would still be an army of monsters left over.

"But..." Amren mumbled, "Aelin Galathynius does."