Chapter 9: Runaway Runway

A left turn, a right, a left, a right... Back roads that weren't on your map and crossing through places you weren't sure you were authorized to with a stolen car helped you eventually loose your uncle. The gas tank was low, and by the small amount of cash you had left and the lack of a credit card, you knew that leaving Flin Flon wouldn't happen any time soon. And Allen would surely figure out where you went one way or another.

Finally pulling into the town, you found it was a little smaller than what the population sign outside town claimed it to be. After rolling through the town, you notice your stomach growling for something more than what you'd grabbed from Matt's house. You park at a little locally-named restaurant, grabbing your little wad of cash from the passenger seat and climbing out of the car.

"Hm... only 10 dollars left," you say with a sigh, sounds of the town masking it as well as the light breeze blowing through the air. It was a fair day, and it made you wish you could spend a day like this with Matt. With a determined smile, knowing you'd find him somehow, you entered the restaurant.

It was nearly empty, save a family of a single mother and her four sons and a man sitting at the counter chatting excitedly with a bored-looking waitress. She chewed gum, popping it as she glanced over at you. Despite her obviously ignoring him though, the customer kept yammering on about something he certainly found very important.

You sat down on one of the stools as well, worried the waitress wouldn't even bother making her way over to you if you didn't. The man didn't seem to notice you, thoroughly enthralled in his conversation with himself. The waitress sighed, giving him a sympathetic and yet irritable glance and setting a menu in front of you.

"What can I get you?" she droned, snapping another bubble. The man stopped for a minute, noticing finally the waitress wasn't paying attention. You didn't make eye contact, but you could feel his seemingly intense gaze upon you.

"Just a water and a cheeseburger, please." At least that way you'd still have some extra dollars left.

"Ohhh, man, cheeseburgers are my favorite!"

You blinked, the waitress heading to the kitchen without asking if that was all you wanted. Not that it mattered, since it after all was what you could afford. Looking over at the strange customer finally, you give him the most surprised of gazes.

"Wait... Are you-"

"You're Matt's niece, right? What are ya doing here? I haven't seen you or Matt since I flew you dudes across the country!" he said, his easily recognizable blond hair and blue eyes helping you remember the pilot.

"Yeah," you say unsurely, the strangeness of the situation making you cautious. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question!" the chatty pilot exclaimed brightly as he swiveled the chair he was in to face you. "But since you're curious, I'm just picking up some supplies to take to the northern provinces and territories! Just some small stuff, nothing too important. But I was kinda planning and stopping at your uncle's place and saying hello! Guess he's not there though?"

You sighed and shook your head as the waitress brought you your water and cheeseburger. "I don't know... He must be. If he's not, then I'll just end up terribly lost."

The pilot gave you a worried look as you took a bite of your burger. "You're alone? What's up with that?"

You don't have much of a choice but to tell him the general details; that you'd been to Matt's house near Winnipeg, that you'd been driving for a while and were low on supplies and cash. You casually left out the detail you were unlicensed to do such things, but he didn't seem to question it. Quickly you add a bit about being followed, and that you were in danger. "That's why I need to find Matt and stay out of America..."