2

RICHMOND PARK ACADEMY lived up to its name.

The first thing that caught my eye was the brightness.

It wasn't the people, the enormity of campus itself, nor the grandiose sense of achievement this institution wore like a badge. It wasn't the way their trees shot upwards, ending where the heavens begun. No, it was the pure brilliance of color that resided in every nook and cranny of the building.

The pillar to my right was the color of sand; The brick exterior seemed to fade into the gigantic firmament above. Even the black of the wrought iron fence was a color so vivid that I could make out the pores on the windows.

I couldn't help but halt in my tracks to gaze at the place I would frequent for the next year. It was my first time seeing this place outside magazines and newspaper clippings - it felt like someone had flipped a switch whilst I stood in a dark room. For everything glistened with color more vibrant than anything I'd seen this morning.

When had color become so intense - and why? Had the color of the airport been this exuberant? All I could see was beauty.

Until I tripped and nearly broke my wrist. And caught the attention of three figures on horseback.

"Wow, equestrian," I muttered to myself. "Stupid rich school."

My butler, who was paces ahead didn't even notice my predicament. I plucked myself from the cobblestone ground and flashed a thumbs up at the people on horseback. They rode in the opposite direction after being assured that some girl didn't die on their rich school grounds.

I dusted my long sleeved, ankle length dress that Grandmother picked specially for me. Good Lord. I reminded myself that I would only be here for a year. What I wear and how I defined myself shouldn't matter too much.

I was here for an education. More importantly, I was here for the good grades and whatever 'self-respect and respecting others' thing that my mother promised.

I expected many things of this school, I didn't expect to walk into the entirety of Richmond Park's staff - this is what I assume them to be, at least - at the entrance of the administration office.

"Miss Andrea Schaeffler?" A woman in a pantsuit with an elaborate up-do broke into a warm smile. One that exuded warmth and welcome.

I nodded, slowly. "That's me."

"Andrea, I am Principal Walters, and on behalf of the founders and chairpeople of this institution, I would like to welcome you to Richmond Park Academy."

"Thank you," I managed to say in a gracious voice.

My eyes were wide in bewilderment. I could only rationalize that my father must have made a FAT donation to Richmond Park Academy. I hoped a constipated sneer wouldn't rear it's ugly head by accident. I knew my father meant well, but I resented the way he's always trying to make life 'easier' for me.

"Could we get you some tea?"

I smiled back. "It's quite alright, Principal Walters. I was wondering if I could perhaps, just retire to my... accommodations," my voice raised in polite enquiry.

"Why, of course. I will personally have my daughter escort you to the female accommodations."

Principal Walters stepped aside to reveal the only person in uniform amidst the staff. This female had a megawatt smile, the kind that hinted to the more intuitive population that she was a closeted bitch. I instinctively became aware of the fact that this female had to be someone who collected dangerous secrets in the non-existent gaps of her commercial-worthy teeth.