38

I'D NEVER TRAVELED by bus before.

It'd been two weeks since Elias had left us. Chemistry classes were different now, I spent class reminiscing about the way I used to copy his work, the way he wore his lab coat unbuttoned on experiment Wednesdays, how he'd always been the one to retrieve the required apparatus and materials.

He'd been so fucking patient, I wouldn't be half as kind to someone as useless as myself.

Elias was selfless. Our 'engagement ring' was hanging around my neck now. I'd touch it sometimes, reminds me of his laughter, the crinkles in his eyes. He said I was the only person who truly made him smile.

Jaxon Ortega was snoring beside me. His head was dangerously close to resting on my shoulders. Not that I would mind. Just an observation.

It's Thanksgiving today.

We'd been traveling for three hours on the bus, there was a family behind us with two kids who were squabbling over crayons. I inclined my head to look at Jaxon, he didn't look as tired while he slept. Almost boyish and almost carefree. I wondered how his family would take me.

The map on my phone told me we were another hour from Bakersfield. I fingered the modest rhinestone on the ring hanging from my neck.

The weather was kind today. Blue, cloudless skies formed the backdrop of barren trees by the interstate. Things were going to be okay, one way or another, they had to be.

We had to change buses three times to arrive at Jaxon's neighborhood. His house was two streets away from the bus stop. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was certain I wouldn't have been able to picture something like this in my mind's eye.

Jaxon's smile was small, almost self-conscious. "It's not much, but it's home."

I fingered the strap of my backpack, allowing my eyes to take in my surroundings. His house was facing the railroad. Somewhere in the distance, a dog was barking. People here worked hard for happiness, my neighbors back East paid millions for the illusion of happiness.

Jaxon's hands found mine, his touch was electric and it caused my heart to speed up in ways it shouldn't.

We started holding hands six days ago. I didn't peg either of us as hand-holders. But life was kind, it gave us ample opportunities to learn new things about ourselves. I gave his hand a squeeze.

"Are you sure it's okay?" I asked.

"Am I sure what's okay?" He asked back.

"You bringing a complete stranger home for Thanksgiving."

"My parents have been dying to meet you since I told them about you."

"You tell your parents about me?"

"I tell my parents everything."

I took it in with a nod.

Jaxon moved so he was standing before me, forcing me to look into his eyes. My hands were still in his. "Andrea, are you embarrassed?"

I frowned. "What?"

His eyes fell to the ground. His voice was soft when he replied. "That I'm not as rich as some of your friends, or past boyfriends or whatever."

"No," I almost choked out. "No, no, no. I like you the way you are."

I rested a hand on the side of his face, forcing him to look into my eyes. "Jaxon, I can literally give two shits about a person's wealth. I'm not that shallow, okay?"

I'd never seen Jaxon like this before. He'd always been so self-assured - but again, there wasn't much to be doubt when you're scoring straight As, student council president and on the verge of graduating as Valedictorian.