Chapter 4: A Second Encounter

"Uh.. Give me 10lbs of the leg quarters. Separate the thighs from the legs," I announced to the butcher behind the glass. I'm at the store, at the butchers window to pick up some chicken for tonight. In my left arm, I'm holding one of those plastic grocery baskets.

I hated the line at the butcher's. The people that worked behind the window were either aged men with trembling fingers or younger squeamish men who were afraid to work the meat saw; all except Tallis.

Just like how some women had their preferred hair stylists and men had their preferred barber, I had my preferred butcher. Tallis was a stout man from somewhere in the south of France. He'd been living here for over a decade and he'd always cut my meat whenever he was at work. He was quick, efficient, friendly and didn't require the use of a hearing aid, unlike half of the staff employed here.

But I'd been seeing less and less of Tallis over the past few weeks and he wasn't behind the counter today so I waited on the elderly man; he looked to be almost sixty, as he carefully and ever so slowly, cut the poultry I'd ordered.

After what seemed like a century, I thanked the butcher, left the window with the bagged poultry and headed for the produce aisle.

"Russets, russets. I need a five pound bag of russets," I murmured to myself. The russets potatoes weren't in their usually place.I had just located and deposited a bag of the potatoes in question into my basket when I heard someone speak behind me.

  "Well if it isn't the Duck-Feeding Expert Extraordinaire." It was bell-like and definitely female. Whirling around to face the voice's owner, I see the red haired beauty from last week's escapades in the park, coming toward me.

"So she's beautiful now," my subconscious snarls, rolling his eyes.

She's grinning at me, hand in the pockets of her leather jacket. She's wearing a mint green dress that falls just above her knees and sandals of the same color. A pair of aviator sun glasses rest atop her head. I can't help my answering grin.

"Its a pleasure seeing you again, Autumn. How are you?" The moment is almost surreal; I didn't think that I'd actually see her again but I'm happy that I did. A blush spreads across her face for some reason and she seems almost instantly shy.

"I'm fine, Jessie."

"Well, at least she remembers your name," my subconscious pointed out.

   Her eyes quickly skate over me, taking in my appearance. I'm in my work clothes which basically amounts to the typical lumber jack outfit: red plaid button up, left open over a white t-shirt, faded blue jeans and my brown Timberland work boots. I probably look like a lumber jack too; there's a slight beard growing on my face since I didn't have the time to shave this morning.

Running my hand through my brown hair, I give her a polite smile. "Would you mind handing me that bag of collard greens behind you?" I ask.

"Certainly," she replies, handing me the bag, which I put away.

"Thank you, ma'am. So what brings you here? I didn't think that you'd stay in New Orleans for more than a week; most people rarely do."

She blushes. "I was in the area; just sight seeing you know."

"Sight seeing alone in the big city without your parents?" I ask with raised eyebrows. "Truthfully it isn't a very smart thing to do -- not to sound as though I'm speaking poorly of the safety of my hometown's streets, because I'm not, but I don't recommend that you travel alone in any city that you're unfamiliar with."

  Seemingly embarrassed, she looks down at her fingers. "There wasn't anything to do at my hotel room. I wanted to see the city but my parents wouldn't take me. They're so self absorbed," she grumbles and glances back up at me. "They're here on business, that's why we haven't left yet."