Chapter 9

(Aelin's POV)

The dark haired females question caught me off guard. Not that I wasn't expecting to be questioned, no, I just didn't think she would be the one to ask.

At first glance, she may seem harmless. But, if you really take a moment to look into her eyes, you can see the power and age in them.

I could lie about my name and where I came from, but all I want to do is go home and reunite with my court—with Rowan. So I gave her a simple answer. "My name is Aelin Ashryver Galathynius. A few months ago I was taken captive for reasons I would not like to go into. For months they would torture me, until finally, I had the idea to use Wyrdmarks. All you need to know about Wyrdmarks, is that they are old, magical symbols that even humans can use. Not many know them, for they are mostly forgotten, I learned them from a friend. I used one to escape captivity and ended up here. That is all I know." A few truths mixed in with a lie. My days as an assassin may be over, but the skills and lessons remain.

When I finished my explanation, a few of the people at the table were looking over at me with pity. I knew they had the best intentions at heart, but I still hated it. I loath when people give me pity, it makes me feel like a pathetic princess that can't do anything on her own. No, I'm not a useless princess, she died in that river a long time ago. I'm The Fire Breathing Bitch Queen, and a force to be reckoned with. Maeve didn't break me and nothing else can.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice a presence trying to enter my mind. It felt like when Maeve would do it to me, but this one didn't seem to have the malicious intent she did. Nonetheless, I didn't want anyone snooping around in my mind, so using the skill Maeve unwillingly taught me—I shoved them out and blocked off my mind with a powerful ring of fire. My head snapped up and I looked around the room for whoever was guilty. The handsome, dark haired male from before seemed shocked, while the others only seemed confused on what was bothering me. I locked my eyes with him and growled out, "if you, or anyone else in this room try to enter my mind again, I will not hesitate to castrate you. Got it?"

Now everyone in the room seemed shocked, even the silver eyed one, their eyes all sliding towards the dark haired man who tried to enter my mind. He seemed to be at a loss for words for a bit before finally saying something.

"You will not threaten me in my own home after we practically saved your life!" He almost shouted. This only served to make me angrier, "I'll threaten whoever I damn please thank you very much. And you didn't even have to save me, why not just leave me for dead?!" I said in the same tone as him before quickly standing up and leaving the room to go blow off some steam. Maybe I can find a training room.

As I was leaving, I could've sworn I heard a female voice say, "well that could have gone better."
________________________________
Hey guys! Thanks for the love and support on my story!! It never fails to make me more motivated to write, so thank you for that as well! Hope you enjoyed the chapter, have a nice rest of your day! :)